Globe artichokes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I can't access the video either.

But think the best thing with J artichokes, is to start off with a very small amount, so your stomach can get used to them.
    DottyR

Comment

Originally posted by Noosner View Post
      I can't play this clip for some reason - but thanks BiP, will research this. It could be the answer as at the mo mr Noosner and I have to avoid polite company after eating these delicious but explosive veg...

Thats odd because it played the other day
      I've just tried again and the video starts showing pictures when its gets to 1.53-ish on the counter.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Yep works for me as well Bren,sound near instantly video is late starting at about 1:30 ish
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Have just read on tinternet that sage is also good for reducing gale force winds on the Jerusalem artichoke front.
          try fennel seeds too!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Ohhh,it just so happens I have a big bag of them that's assuming there are actually some JA tubers in the ground
            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
              Thats odd because it played the other day
              I've just tried again and the video starts showing pictures when its gets to 1.53-ish on the counter.
              Mine says it's not authorised to play in my country - because there's some content from EMI. Didn't know yorkshire was a different country from rest of UK... Tho it does make sense
              My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

^^^ You didn't know Yorkshire was a different country??!!! hahaha! How long have you lived here? lol
                Hmmmm we have a bag of JA's winging there way here to be planted, I wonder if they'll just fly themselves here without the need for parcel force? If they have as much air in them as you all say they shouldn't have a problem getting here!
                Sllghtly worried about trying them now, but as "Ay AHm A Ledy" I shouldn't have this problem ahem
                You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Ooh! Quickly had to post another post as my previous post was the number of the beast! This one is 667 phew! The next door neighbour of the beast lol - I crack myself up!
                  Last edited by ancee; 31-12-2013, 09:59 AM.
                  You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Mine says it's not authorised to play in my country - because there's some content from EMI. Didn't know yorkshire was a different country from rest of UK... Tho it does make sense
                    Doesn't like us in Kent either
                    DottyR

Comment

This post has raised a few sniggers

I've sown some arrrtichoke seeds (I always think of Mr Mulch in Curse of the WereRabbit - "kiss my woife's aaartichokes") and I think they're globe - presumably no-one sows JA seeds, just buries tubers? That must make mine GAs. Are they less fart-inducing?
                      Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

Yes. They're a bit more effort to prepare.
                        They are absolutely stunning if you let them flower. The bees love them.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MrsCordial View Post
                          I've sown some arrrtichoke seeds and I think they're globe
                          I grew Globe Artichokes from seed, and they were fine. Until I read about better French varieties ... took me ages to find a source (got them from France in the end) and they are noticeably better ... but ... I find them a bit of a pig to grow. Sufficiently tender that I over winter Offsets under cover in case of a hard winter ...

Be prepared to rogue-out any of your seed raised ones if the plants do not produce nice heads - e.g. if they are more thistle-like - as seed-raised will produce some variable offspring.

Might be worth looking out for some, just in case you stumble on any. The two that I have are Gros Vert de Laon and Camus de Bretagne
                          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I found mine took 3 years to flower. Not sure if that's because of the location or what. I have it in my garden, as I love the leaves. I let them flower too, as I'm quite fond of the flower

Edit: just remembered. My one that took 3 years to flower, was bought in a coconut husk pot. I had another one (purple - which died a few years back when we had that harsh winter and all the snow), but that was in a normal pot - it grew much larger too.
                            Last edited by chris; 08-04-2014, 08:00 AM.

Comment

I noticed tonight there are the first couple of shoots appearing for my Chinese Artichokes, no signs of life on my Jerusalem Artochokes yet though. As for the Globe Artichoke, I cut that back to a stump about a week or so ago as it wasn't looking too clever, and there are several young shoots now appearing around the base of the stump.

I started the GA off from seed the middle of last year, and had three small flower buds in January. I decided to lop those off and let the plant get a bit more established, and I have a sneaky suspicion I'll be reaping the benefits from that later this season

Comment

Hi all

I grew my GAs from seed about three years ago and they've done me proud, with decent crops of tasty chokes - and then usually another flurry if we get a mild Autumn/Winter. I pick most of them to eat but let a few flower because they are so spectacular and the bees seem to love them. I don't pick the Autumn ones as these are quite small and anyway it's nice to see more flowering.

I think they must be among my very favouritest plants to grow from seed. I loved the strong glossy leaved seedlings. I think GA plants only last a few years so I suppose I might have to start again soon.
                                My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X