Would peas work inbetween potato rows?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ourarka View Post
    I'm intrigued - do you put that stuff on when you plant the tubers ..?
    Dig a 5" hole with your trowel
    Drop the spud in
    Backfill the hole with soil
    When the leaves start showing, place wet newspapers around the stem, not covering the leaves (the leaves need the light)
    Weigh down the newspaper if nec. with some soil or grass clippings etc.

When you want to harvest the spuds, simply pull the mulch to one side: the spuds will be all nice and clean, and no digging
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I used grass clippings this year, but laid them on too thick, so they started to compost - managed to save the plant, but next time will be laying it on less, and more often

Comment

Nitrogen residues

The nodules that develop on the roots of peas and beans are caused by the association of the plants with nitrogen fixing bacteria.
        The plants supply the energy for the bacteria and the bacteria in turn supply nitrogen for the plants.
        When the plant dies there is residual nitrogen slowly returned to the soil from the decaying plant matter (roots and foliage) and the breakdown of the nodules.
        These processes and the root structure of the peas and beans have tremendous benefits to the soil fertility and structure which benefit the following crops.

Comment

If you plant rows of peas between rows of potatoes, how are you going to get to the peas to harvest them without trampling the potatoes?
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I don't plant in rows so that makes it easier.
            Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Morning all speaking of things growing in the same bed can anyone tell me what vegetables I could pair together in the same bed please. And can I grow things beneath fruit trees? Thanks Mark

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X