PSB: surviving the winter

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSB: surviving the winter

So far this week its been -5/-7C each night and the PSB is looking a bit limp!
    Will it perk up in Spring????
    Attached Files
    Follow my progress in gardening at altitude in France www.750metres.net

It does look a bit sad for itself but no more than normal given the snow and the cold temperatures in your part of France. If the weather picks up a bit eventually, it will survive, definitely still alive at the moment looking at the pic.

Comment

yeah, it'll come back
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I was going to ask the same thing Datz. It has been -8° here over the past couple of nights
        It seems that they are frost hardy down to -12 depending upon the variety so hopefully they will perk up soon. I'm thinking of putting some frost protection over them though because the temps here (as you know) can get down as low as -20°
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I will hope for the best.
          Scarey55 it's a bit nippy this week n'est pas?
          Luckily I dug up some Jerusalem Artichokes before the freeze set in. Can't get to them or leeks or savoys now as the ground is rock hard! It's our first gardening winter here so it's all a bit trial and error as to what to grow. However the locals say it's got cold early this year.
          Last edited by datz; 29-11-2013, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
            I'm thinking of putting some frost protection over them
            A bit of debris netting wouldn't hurt, and it makes a surprising difference to the conditions underneath
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks TS

* toddles off to find some debris netting.
              A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

I did have them covered in enviromesh, but took it off after the last of the cabbage whites disappeared, so back on it goes!

Comment

If I am I right your are growing them in some sort container. I find that even in 80ltr dustbins I have to protect them or the roots can get damaged.

Potty
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Weathers been lovely here! Calabrese is still cropping.
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

One week later and the garden is still mainly under snow. We have had a series of sunny days and temps up to 8C however, the garden doesn't get enough sun at this time of the year to melt the snow.
                      I think I need to rethink what's achievable during the winter here, and get a small poly tunnel!

Comment

Originally posted by datz View Post
                        One week later and the garden is still mainly under snow. We have had a series of sunny days and temps up to 8C however, the garden doesn't get enough sun at this time of the year to melt the snow.
                        I think I need to rethink what's achievable during the winter here, and get a small poly tunnel!
                        I've got a tunnel already datz, but I'm now considering buying a length of polytunnel quality polythene to make big cloches for outdoor things if the weather gets really bad (lucky for me we're a lot better off so far than you are, although I dare say it won't last!). The tunnel is fab, but I think having a movable mini-tunnel / giant cloche thing would be really useful -I'm planning on using it over early potatoes to protect from frosts, and maybe even unexpectedly early blight if I'm lucky
                        sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

1km and 300metres of altitude down in the village...... No snow left. We just seem to cop a bit more with the extra altitude. Also we are in a forest clearing surrounded by trees, so at this time of year with the low sun we only get 3/4 hours of sun in the garden.
                          However in the summer when the valley is baking it's still pleasant where we are, so swings and roundabouts!
                          Last edited by datz; 05-12-2013, 08:17 PM.

Comment

After roughly 5 weeks in the snow it rained today and the garden finally cleared totally of snow. PSB looking healthier.
                            However it's been a glorious period of cold but sunny and dry days.

Comment

Lost most of them. When I checked them closely, most of the stems had snapped, even tho I had staked them. The remainder are now under fleece and enviromesh.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X