Killing grass of for a new veg bed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paulieb View Post
    This might take longer over the winter tho as you won't have the same warmth to compost/kill the grass.
    With respect, it isn't heat that kills the grass, it's lack of light

Originally posted by taff View Post
    dig it up and turn it over ... so the grass is underneath and the earth is on top. Job done.
    Job done, indeed. It's what I did in my gardens

Originally posted by Andrewtheface View Post
    I think I will strip the turf off... add top soil
    You're making it unnecessarily difficult. Just turn the turf OVER: there's your topsoil, and you've now fed the soil with nitrogen too (the grass, which will rot nicely)

and manure
    You don't have to. Many of us don't use horsemuck, I never have (in 17 yrs of allotmenting)

I am just looking for quickest way to get it ready for planting veg in spring.
    Turn the turf over. Plant into the exposed soil. You can plant into it straight away, you don't even need to wait for the grass to rot down

our school beds, made on very poor soil
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replys, most helpful I think I know where I am going with this now cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

If it's couch grass it may well return. Best either dig it out - thoroughly - or use glysophate to kill the roots.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Last year in September I covered all my plot in black membrane to kill all couch grass and bindweed. In September removed the membrane and the earth was weed free. But you can never have a weed free plot. But it will give you a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X