Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Snakeshack, very helpful.

Comment

I have two 48 x 12 heat mats which i use in my sun tunnels. I just put the seed trays straight on top of the mats and don't use thermostats.

The results are amaizing....sometimes, seed trays don't fit on the mats (where i try to cram too many trays in) and the seeds on the mat germinate much quicker than the ones that aren't on it.

Toms, cues, chillis, courgettes, runners plus all my ornamentals are started like this with excellent results
      Please visit my facebook page for the garden i look after

https://www.facebook.com/PrestonRockGarden

Comment

Thanks Andy, good to know. And how long do you leave the mats on? I was hoping to keep them on through February/March then gradually reduce the temp to wean them off bottom heat.
        Do you find them pricey to run?
        Cheers
        Last edited by redser; 19-09-2013, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I don't mean to go off on a tangent Red but wouldn't it be easier to just to buy a couple of electric props.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

is this any help to your decision making,

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=reptile+...evid=558952414
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              I don't mean to go off on a tangent Red but wouldn't it be easier to just to buy a couple of electric props.
              Well germination isn't the problem at all. I have a sankey and that works fine. The problem is raising stuff on window sills once they get potted on. Now that I have the greenhouse using window sills isn't going to happen anymore. At all. Ever. I've been told.
              I like to get stuff going early and rather than an electric fan heater which I believe is expensive to run I read that providing gentle bottom heat from a cable or a mat is the best option.

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
                is this any help to your decision making,

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=reptile+...evid=558952414
                Thanks lottie dolly

Comment

Sorry to appear thick Red but I thought you only needed heat for germination purposes, once germinated, they need no heat.............as an afterthought, if you are still thinking of going down this route, I have just read an article whereby someone used an electric blanket as a heat mat...........
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

This sounds a good way to warm a GH

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                      Sorry to appear thick Red but I thought you only needed heat for germination purposes, once germinated, they need no heat.............as an afterthought, if you are still thinking of going down this route, I have just read an article whereby someone used an electric blanket as a heat mat...........
                      Thanks BM. I've read on people using blankets to germinate, but that they are pricey to run long term.
                      I would be looking for extra heat for the tender things like tomatoes and peppers in particular. They need 10 degrees C on average. I know they can tick along at lower temps but they are severely set back and checked in growth. You would be nearly as well waiting for it to warm up. So I need something extra. Also read that keeping the roots warm is more important than keeping above the soil warm so long as the foliage doesn't get frosted. So bottom heat sounds good again.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        This sounds a good way to warm a GH
                        Thanks VC. The T lights are worth a bash. Believe it was a standard way once upon a time, a candle under a terracotta pot. I think you can get 8 hour burning T lights. I guess one would have to section off a small area under a smaller blow away inside the GH.
                        Cheers

Comment

My husband put a tubular heater in my greenhouse under one of my benches so I just put that on in the winter and turn off during the day, it worked really well last winter and I had great results with early tomatoes

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Thanks Gina!
                            My heat mat guy has gone AWOL so I'm going to try Veggiechicken's candle in a pot idea first and see how that goes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X