When do caterpillars finish?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pineberry View Post
    If the plants are large and healthy aren't they suppose to withstand the attack?
    Not when it comes to brassicas and Cabbage Whites, no.

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
    We select seed and plants that produce nice large juicy amounts of high quality catapillar food.
    Indeed. I think the Cabbage Whites have first dibs on brassicas, really. We aren't called Cabbage Humans

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
    I grew a patch of nettles in the corner and that didn't stop them stripping my broccoli.
    Cabbage Whites don't eat nettles
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

From my caterpillar observations (very scientific!) I have concluded that its better to grow loose leaf brassicas than hearting ones. Once a cattie makes its way into the heart the plants a gonna, but if its on a loose leaf, like kale or sprouts, you have more chance of stopping the little blighters from doing terminal damage. Not 100% but at least the loose leaf ones have a fighting chance of producing more leaves.

Comment

I've taken the netting off my brassicas. There were caterpillars all over the leaves anyway and at least I can see them properly to remove them now. Plus they were trying to do the cocoony thing on the net and becoming far to at home. Honestly it's as if I put the whole set up in place for their benefit.

Comment

The chooks love the green ones (small whites) so I was thinking I could release the chooks into the brassica bed....

However their 2nd favourite food is brassicas :O

So I could release them, stand about until they become more of pest than the 'pillars and then wrangle them back into the chook run? This relaxed gardening hobby's starting to sound like a lot of exercise....

Comment

I've found out why Gardener's have Green Fingers - from squishing caterpillars. Jam packed full of pureed cabbage

Comment

Down one side of my veg garden I have a row of tubs. From left to right, courgette (no caterpillars but suffering from powdery mildew), spring onions (no caterpillars, but had to cover with a net because the blackbirds threw them all over the path), carrots (no foliage left, eaten by green and brown caterpillars, but valiantly trying to regrow), oregano (full of holes although no caterpillars found), pak choi (under an enviromesh net since planting but decimated), cabbages (ditto), potatoes (foliage eaten away in places by snails - slime trail evidence) and rhubarb (resembles lace, covered in blackfly being farmed by ants). The little blighters have also had the strawberry leaves and the late peas, and a row of turnips I planted has completely disappeared.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Caterpillars are still rife here in Long Eaton although some are seeking refuge in the shed to change into the larvae stage.
                Built for comfort, not speed!

Comment

I too have been visited by the flying hordes. My Kohl Rabi has been stripped to the stem and my calabrese is all gone. Next year I shall be netting multiple times. The amount of caterpillars I pick off daily is ridiculous, makes me feel like a butterfly farmer rather than a veg grower. Though that thought does lead me to other, slightly icky thoughts...

Veg is full of vitamins...Protein is expensive...Caterpillars are protein and full of veg...I could make tempura...Nah...

Comment

Originally posted by samuelsapien View Post
                    Veg is full of vitamins...Protein is expensive...Caterpillars are protein and full of veg...I could make tempura...Nah...
                    Nooooooooooo Samuel

Comment

They're even eating the horseradish now

Attached Files

Comment

My cauliflowers and brussels have been decimated but I'm consoling myself by thinking that I'm doing something good for the environment by providing an ideal breeding ground for cabbage whites. next year however will be different as I'm going to invest in some good netting to try to minimise the problem.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X