Brassica Massacre!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Likac66 View Post
    Hmmm... thanks all. The wonder wall thing looks good but a bit expensive. Might go for something more like this:

Vegetable Cages for Brassica
    Yes I agree Likac, another reason why I've hesitated! But bear in mind the 700mm in the cage illustrated is only a little over 2 feet in old money so you still have the access problem, a major advantage of "Wonderwall" is it's "walk-in". My allotment neighbour has developed a cage (not full height though) on the "build-a-ball" principle but using old tennis balls, seems to work. Whichever version you decide upon remember that, unlike a fruit cage, it has to be relocated annually as part of standard rotation (so uprights not too deep or you'll have trouble getting them out). Also roof netting will need to be removable or replaced with wider gauge pigeon-netting in winter to avoid damage through weight of snow.
    But all these problems apart, a brassica cage will be a great asset!

Comment

Originally posted by bazzaboy View Post
      But bear in mind the 700mm in the cage illustrated is only a little over 2 feet in old money so you still have the access problem,...Whichever version you decide upon remember that, unlike a fruit cage, it has to be relocated annually as part of standard rotation (so uprights not too deep or you'll have trouble getting them out).
      There is a 900mm version as well which is the one I think I will get. I also think this will be more movable than the wonderwall.

Mind you, I was talking to my mum about it and she said she knows someone with a wonderwall who just limes and manures the same place each year but I'm not sure I would be happy doing that.
      Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

Well I went to my local garden centre today as I had some vouchers and bought 2 of these:

Haxnicks Steel Long Fruit Cage – Next Day Delivery Haxnicks Steel Long Fruit Cage from WorldStores: Everything For The Home

They are 1.5m high (so high enough for my sprouts plants that are already 1m high), 1m width and 3m length. Hoping they last a few years.
        Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X