Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

confirmation that this is a butternut squash?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confirmation that this is a butternut squash?

Sposed to be 'Waltham butternut'. . .

its my first year growing them so apart from anything i've read, i'm not an expert. so there must be about 20 huge fruits between the 4/5 vines... but they are more round then the shape (and size/weight) of pumpkins then the butternut squash i would buy in the shops .. maybe im just being impatient about them ripening :P they were sewn back in April sometime and planted out in May-ish.

Thanks

Attached Files

Erm - sorry, but I don't think it is.

I grew Waltham Butternut some years ago - I can't find a pic of it on the plant, but I'm pretty sure that it looked fairly recognisably like a supermarket butternut.

Here's a pic of when I cut one:

Attached Files

Comment

yeah i knew they looked funky /: the only other thing they could be is pumpkins as i sowed them the same time.. i think, then again, im not sure,

Comment

hi. they look way to dark and round to be butternut. i have 21 waltham butternut plants (triffids) growing and all fruiting. .. not one of the looks like that? im sure you will enjoy them all the same though??

Comment

They look like round courgettes to me and very healthy too!
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

They look like baby pumpkins/round squash to me, as well

Comment

I've got some Italian White Courgettes (seed from BB) that look like that Hazel.
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I'm thinking pumpkin there....
                Garden Grower
                Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                  I've got some Italian White Courgettes (seed from BB) that look like that Hazel.
                  I think the colour balance in the pic is a bit wonky, FF - it was some years ago, but I remember them (about 5 from the plant) as being beige/yellow.

I can't even think about courgettes for next year - I've had 84 to date off my 2-plants-and-a-runty-one.

Comment

ergh that's annoying they have to be pumpkins then /:

I sewed a few off these.. Pumpkin 'Jack O' Lantern' Organic Seeds

Because I didn't plant courgettes this year...

I have a feeling though that it might be a mixed group ie some butternut and some pumpkin because there are some smaller fruits (could be wishful thinking though)

Comment

None of the ones you have pictured is a butternut Irish. They have their distinctive shape right from the beginning. Google Image Result for http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Bgnz3Zk5O8A/Tewts_4H4wI/AAAAAAAABAU/OMJ8ih4nRD4/s400/ButternutSquash11.jpg

Comment

Well that's strange as i planted butternut squash too and i know i did cos at the same time i planted patti pan squash and spaghetti squash. I have 3 different squash forming and the butternut variety are very similar to your pictures...

A mix up in the seed factory? Or they are butternut but a different variety?
                        Last edited by Stan79; 19-08-2013, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Penny's just dropped Could it be this? Squash 'Autumn Crown' (Winter) - Pumpkin, Squash & Courgette Seeds - Thompson & Morgan

Comment

hmm as much as it seems believable but I have the original packet that says Waltham butternut, they must be pumpkins /: although I was sure they were the squash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X