Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: How many Allotment plots do you have?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
    Well I must say I can see your point in those circumstances, but it doesnt solve the problem, perhaps new tennants should take a test or an interview to prove their capability. Maybe it should be limited to no more than two plots. Surely two plots should be enough for anybody. I suspect some people with three plots are bringing in friends or relatives to share the work and produce.
    Actually most with multiple plots tend them themselves but give a lot of produce away to friends and family. If you're a gardener you want to garden and sometimes the size of plots can be too restrictive for your creative tendancies, hence the need for more space.

I have one plot and still give some produce away, I actually think when you give you receive far more. This year I had grown far too many courgettes, pumpkins and squashes for my needs, I gave a load away to fellow plotholders. As a result I have benefitted greatly with offer to water when away, fruit bushes and seedlings appearing on the plot all manner of items in fact.

The discussion is all the wrong way around, if there is a need for plots then the councils should endeavour to find suitable sites and provide them. I would like to see the landscaped gardens in front of council offices turned into plots. It has been proven time and time again that good diet and exercise saves the council money in NHS bills, more allotments provides both.
    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I personally think,it all depends on where you live,and the availability of plots NEEDED,if it had not been for people taking on extra plots in the none popular years,then we would have even less to go around these days,size of plots also seem to vary,some peeps can cope with more than others,my plots are aprox 20ft x 134 ish,i have 2.5 of these,i have only recently took on the extra half plot,they all linked to each other as 1 large area,plus there is other parts being regenerated back into plots again,HAD there been a waiting list,then i would not have as much,it's better for the society to have more plots rented out,than waist land building up,especially when its next to you,at the moment i am loving growing my own,in the not to distant future,i know i WILL have to down size,at the moment all is well,
      Another thing to consider is,for several peeps,it's just a great sounding idea to have a lottie,but NOT what they see as hard work involved,most sites have a steady come and go flow,our site has variouse sizes,as the full plots are vacated,they become half plots,and new peeps have a certain time to show they mean to grow,even if your a long time grower,you get tolled if your plots are overgrown with weeds,we love our site,
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I have two but they're on different sites. The site with our first plot has a waiting list, but plot 2 doesn't. They just put a sign on the gate whenever there's available plots which is pretty frequent. It's weird - they're crying out for people to take on plots at site no 2 - I even put the two secretaries in touch with each other, so people on the waiting list could have the option, but the sign's still there so I suppose there must still be vacant plots.

I have tons of sympathy for those on ridiculous waiting lists, but I don't feel guilty for all the reasons already mentioned. Yes I suppose I could give up the first plot, but it being our first has too much sentimental attachment, not to mention the fab people who are down there and frankly we've put too much into it to pack it in.

As for using the garden to grow stuff, even if I wanted to dig up the whole not very big lawn, the soil's terrible and the whole garden is ruled by slugs despite numerous attempts to attract some froggies.

Comment

I currently have 2 and that's plenty. You could even argue it could stretch into 3 but one area isn't and hasn't been used for a while. The only problem with this now however, as plot holders, the rumours going round on our site state they're going to increase the rents next year based on area squared rather than half or full plots, as some do vary to others length and width wise. Has anyone else heard or experienced something similar? I found it strange as I always assumed it just went on half or full plots and its not as there's a waiting list either.

Comment

We have a half plot. The previous owner of our plot had the whole plot but the policy is when a plot becomes available it is offered to new members as a half plot.

You can over time take on a full plot if one becomes available (or the person you share with leaves). I think it's perfectly reasonable to offer half plots to new members - one it helps get more people involved and two it lets you see how well you cope with a small area to begin with. Our plot's around 350-400 sq ft which has produced ample crop for the two of us.

Personally we wouldn't move from our current half plot - we like the location on the site (17 plots or 34 half plots depending how you look at it) and our neighbours (most of which are full plots) have been very helpful.

Not only that but we've spent a lot of time and effort getting the plot into shape.

Comment

I have just the one, however, I share it with a mate who has one next to mine and my father whom has one next to my mates, so we have three between us and share the lot, shed located centrally and hens on one, 'standard' planting on my fathers and polytunnel and raised beds on the other.

We all get along fine and share tasks and chores, good company!

Comment

Folk on our site have up to three plots, the people with more than one plot have families to help, apart from one person and she is struggling to make use of her ground. My recommendation: one or two pairs of hands - stick to one standard plot. If there's three or four of you two plots would probably be ideal. - depending, as always, on how much time you have available. However, with two plots you can give more room for fruit and poultry, which might be a consideration.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X