No announcement yet.

Sweet potato plants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You've very late to be planting them out and so I'd be surprised if you manage anything much but if they were a bargain and you've got the space then you have nothing to loose. I grow them most years in the polytunnel (have tried outdoors and don't get a crop here) and the crop varies, last year pretty much nothing but the year before was pretty good. The plants don't look as big this year as normal so think that might lead to a lower crop but I did plant them out a couple of weeks later than normal (ideally like to get them in by the start of June)

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I've just got permission for a 5m x 2m polytunnel on my plot so I may well stick a couple of plants in next year!

Having said that I think I've committed the space in the tunnel about 4 times over already!
      http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Well I've planted it, in different places on plot,so will see if anything happens!

DottyR
        DottyR

Comment

I to am growing sweet spuds, mine have taken over the greenhouse. I also bought 12 plants from suttons (beauregaurd) as I had dismal failures before. I have been watering and feeding but I read some where that you are supposed to prune them. I have just left them to get on with it. If the tubers underneath are represented by the growth on top it will be a bumper crop. I do so hope I am not dissapointed as has happened before. They say to leave them till the leaves turn yellow, usually in september. Any one who knows what they are doing regarding this crop your advice would be most welcome as there seems to be little written about their cultivation.

Comment

I tend to leave the as long in the season as I can to get maximum growth but dig them up before the frosts.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Take some cuttings of your plants at the end of growing season, before they die out and stick them into water at home. They will root easily. You can plant them in pots indoors and you will have ready plants for next year. The vine can be endlessly propagated for more plants. No need to buy them again. In some country they use some as decorative plants too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X