Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What weight of potatoes to get expect one potato plant.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s a good yield Irenton,welcome to the vine I don’t weigh my produce,unless it’s something amazing with massive growth,so that never happens enjoy your potatoes

Comment

Good growing, Irenton. I'm only a little bit jealous...

Hello and welcome to the Vine, by the way.

Comment

I grow 3 seed potatoes to a 30 litre bucket and get anywhere between 1kg and 6kg per bucket (although 1.5-3.5kg is more usual). The higher yields are maincrop (usually Desiree), although I have had 2kg/bucket from Lady C.

I also grow potatoes in Quadgrow vegetable planters, which have 4 x 18 litre pots. I put just 1 seed potato in each pot. From these I usually get 1-1.5kg per pot for Lady C and about the same for Desiree.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Irenton, thats a good harvest.

I'm another who doesn't weigh their potatoes.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Read somewhere that 1 to 10 seed weight to harvest weight is a good yardstick. Can't find the reference.
            I used to be quanglewangle. It's a long story

Comment

Originally posted by fimblefowl View Post
              Read somewhere that 1 to 10 seed weight to harvest weight is a good yardstick. Can't find the reference.
              I think that's unlikely to be true, as bigger seed potatoes don't lead to a bigger harvest. If anything, smaller seed potatoes are usually preferable, around egg-sized.

Comment

Found the source and it was 1 to 8, not 1 to 10 as I said in my previous post.
                15 years of records on spring plantings (mid-March) gave yield ratios from a very low 3:1 to a happy 13:1. The average was 8.2:1 and the median 8:1.
                https://www.sustainablemarketfarming...n%20the%20same.
                I used to be quanglewangle. It's a long story

Comment

Originally posted by fimblefowl View Post
                  Found the source and it was 1 to 8, not 1 to 10 as I said in my previous post.

https://www.sustainablemarketfarming...n%20the%20same.
                  I think you might be misinterpreting those statistics slightly.
                  Those figures are merely the average seed-to-yield ratios. Nowhere in that article does it suggest that yield correlates to or increases with seed potato size.
                  He's a commercial farmer, so obviously since he's planting potatoes by the field he would measure seed potatoes by weight, not number. He plants 100kg of seed potatoes and gets back 800kg of final crop.
                  For us gardeners, an average yield per potato, that is, per plant, is far more useful (although I suppose if you by a big 2.5kg or 5kg bag of seed potatoes and plant the lot then those ratios would be useful for judging your total crop, although not each individual plant). And most sources generally agree that yield per potato is more or less the same regardless of seed potato size (unless it was really small, of course), to the point where it was once recommended to cut large seed potatoes in half to give yourself two seed potatoes (this does carry a greater risk of the seed potato rotting, however).

Also, given that he is double-cropping his potatoes, we can conclude they are are earlies. A maincrop variety would probably exceed that 1:8 ratio by some way.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X