Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

few more

------------

These are my tatties, what do you recon, is this blight?

Attached Files
    If you want to view paradise
    Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Would I be right to say that your plot is on quite a steep slope and the soil is very thin and free draining/sandy?
      If it is on a slope the seeds may have washed away when watering. As for the sandy soil you may be better making a small trench or drill first filling this with some multi purpose compost, watering it, sowing the seeds and finally covering. The compost will hold water better and be where the seeds need it, which is under them for the seeds to root into. Other than for root vegetables which really need to be sown directly I sow most of mine in pots and trays until they are big enough to cope with the big bad world.

Comment

yeah they are on a canny slope, they are where a tree was we dug it out and I sifted the soil as there was loads of clay and coal in there x

Comment

Clay is not so bad to have as with a bit of organic matter holds water well. Coal, I'm not so sure about! Did you add anything to the soil after removing the tree?

Comment

no just left it as it was, what could I of put in with it? x

Comment

Just wondering about your carrots - I often find my outside ones seem patchy, but then find tiny stumps at ground level where they've been eaten by slugs...

Broccoli - could it be attacked by flea beetles? Titchy little black jumping things - mine sometimes looks like this and I sometimes see the beetles if I shake the plants. I don't think they do any real harm unless there are too many of them and they're very hungry .
              sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Looks as if you meed to add lots of organic matter to the soil. Home made compost and the like will help to improve it.

Brassicas look as if they have been attacked by flea beetle and they will probably grow out of it. Carrots are difficult at the best of times.

The flower plant looks like Mallow. Just wait for it to flower, big pink flowers like an Hibiscus, lovely!
                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

probably slugs yeah, but then I think they have had such a fantastic time eating my sunflowers they might not of got to out else yet lol x

Comment

Originally posted by 4390evans View Post
                    my tatties, what do you recon, is this blight?
                    No, it's not.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ght_33866.html
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      Ah thats good to know, planted some rooster potatoes a while ago just some potato skins that were left over just to see if they would grow, would be nice to have a few for the sunday dinners. x

Comment

The Brassicas are catapillar, beetle or slug/snail - have a look and keep removing, its not pidgeon as they eat round the edges.

Like people have said the slopes often an issue - if you can maybe get some wood and build a frame on teh down sloped side and create a raised bed at the end of teh season add lots of manure and compost to level it and work next year on a level playing field so to speak.

If you germinated everything in the ground this could be the issue - the slope washing seeds away or poor germination.

Maybe sow in modules/small pots on hte window sill and transplant once the first true leaves have appeared.

Comment

and finally the one you didnt recognise looks liek a cucubit - cucumber/marrow/pumpkin/squash or the like - did you sow any of them seeds ?

Comment

Originally posted by kathyd View Post
                            Maybe it's just me, but I now expect some things to work and some things not to - and there's never any consistency to it either! Last year for example I had loads of dwarf french beans, this year I'm struggling to get any to grow at all. I suspect it pays to grow a range of stuff in the hopes that 'something' will work! I'd have been so sad this year if I'd only planted garlic and potatoes, both of which are rubbish, but I'm currently living on peas and strawberries which have been fantastic ... having totally unpredictable weather doesn't help does it?
                            you have our sympathy with your unpredictable weather,we dont have that problem as usually we know when summer starts as the rain gets warmer.....

Comment

Hi Jen, my plot just like yours, something's coming on great others not..you do need netting over cabbages, broccoli etc...potatoes don't need it.my cabbages full of holes first lot, but then covered second lot....no holes but makes sure small holed netting otherwise butterflies get in and destroy leaves..sounds like I know what I'm talking about but follow lots of advise from grapevine and ask lots of question. X

Comment

not sure hun, Ive got 2 pumpkins in pots but no marrow cucumber or squash I think it was a flower mix I put down x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X