Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
    Mikey,

If I am right and please check but I think that Market More is one of the few cumbers where you need both the male and female flowers.

Potty
    I'm glad you said that Potty - I was going to rip all the male flowers off mine!!
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

The ones with the tiny cucumber behind the flower are the female flowers ancee, the ones with just plain stalk are male. And you only remove the male flowers on certain varieties, most of which aren't very popular these days... Which variety are you growing?

Mikey, I think pollination has been your problem, although, Marketmore being an outside variety might mean it's objecting to the heat undercover?

Comment

I did wonder about the heat, the first cuc I had was when the weather was still a lot cooler, however having watched a video I did start to remove the male flowers which I'll modify/stop doing now.

You have to be very careful what bits of info you follow. I'll continue to damp down the floor to increase the humidity, I'll use my seaweed feed to give them a boost, and I'll snip off some of the male flowers and rub them against the females in a suggestive manner.

Rustylady I'm not sure if the pictures do the cucs that much justice the both plants are meandering around the ridge of the greenhouse laden with about a dozen small fruits each, so they seem to be quite happy in themselves generally.

Hopefully we'll see some fruit start to develop from now on.
        I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Do others nip out the tip of the mains stem when they've reached the top of the framework. Does this promote more side shoots like it does with runner beans?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
            I'll snip off some of the male flowers and rub them against the females in a suggestive manner.
            Careful Mikey, you can be arrested for that
            I start my mornings poking male bits into female courgettes - then I eat the male flowers (bit like one of those spiders that eats their mate )
            Good luck with your cukey problems

Comment

I was thinking about doing it while buzzing like a bee and doing a waggle dance. The neighbours already know I'm mad.

So you're a bit of a black widow spider then VC, how do you prefer to eat your courgette flowers?

Comment

I eat them immediately after they've done the biz - still fresh and warm - if slightly sweaty They look a bit frayed around the edges then, so not at their best for stuffing

Comment

Have you got any cucs yet? I've noticed my marketmore (a variety I've not grown before) are behaving exactly the same. Big healthy plant, covered in 1-2inch cucs not growing. They're not yellowing and dropping off, they're just doing nothing...
                  Garden Grower
                  Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

My marketmore produced one cuc and then tooka break, but is now very productive after its little rest...Have you watered and fed them enough in this dry period ?
                    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                    sigpic

Comment

Yep. Well watered and fed. Looking good, just no cucumber sized cucumbers so far.
                      Garden Grower
                      Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Marketmore needs both flowers, you should leave all the flowers on.

Im also growing Marketmore but mine have been left outside and I have more than 20 growing and some are 6 inches so far

🐞Every ☁has a silver lining🐝Every 🌸 has a 🌿

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X