Spud flowers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
    Ahaaa - maybe they're not actually Pentland Javelin then? (any flowers I get from Pound Shop seem to turn out pink, whatever colour it says they should be on the packet)

Whatever they are, they're lovely potatoes.
    They were nice with dinner the other night and the flowers were extra lovely so not really bothered
    In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

I have some from poundland too, they`re charlotte potatos, doing well at the moment, despite a bad start!

stu

Comment

My Pentland Javelin are also the same colour - I got mine from £World or £Land.

If all the pink flowered ones came from there maybe they got the varieties mixed up?

Andy
        http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

I am trying some salad blue this year,so i am waiting to see some flowers to be able to taste some,i have never removed the tatties flowers in 30 odd years and have no intention of doing so now,this is the first i have heard of it,the size of the flowers are never going to drain a normal tattie plant whatever the type may be..

Comment

Originally posted by darcyvuqua View Post
            I have two identical rows same amount of seed potatoes same variety one row I have pulled flowers off one have been left!

I think flower from potato plants are one of the best you well see from vegetables [ATTACH]37933[/ATTACH]

This flower is from my early crop

Wow mine never seem to open up like that hence I considered them very dull flowers, I have never caught mine open like that yet. Maybe they are in too much shade?

Comment

Originally posted by stubedo View Post
              I have some from poundland too, they`re charlotte potatos, doing well at the moment, despite a bad start!

stu
              I got some from poundland, I think they are doing OK, plenty of green and I had to cover up what looked like a decent sized potato with soil too.

Comment

Originally posted by esbo View Post
                Wow mine never seem to open up like that hence I considered them very dull flowers, I have never caught mine open like that yet. Maybe they are in too much shade?
                we are in scotland and we have 50 shades of grey,its called summer,its cool here,sitting indoors with a jumper on..normal service has been resumed,but wasnt that sunshine grand while it lasted........

Comment

Sorry to hear that buffs. It will be warm again by the middle of the week.
                  I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Apparently Marie Antoinette used to wear potato flowers in her hair!

Comment

Originally posted by esbo View Post
                      Apparently Marie Antoinette used to wear potato flowers in her hair!
                      But she got her chips before too long.

I'll get me coat.
                      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

So...getting back to the original question. I've never take flowers off plants, but I do take off the berries that form afterwards for those varieties that form berries. I do this for the original reason suggested, namely to concentrate the plant's energy on tubers rather than useless toxic fruit.
                        Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I see a lot of advice saying chop bits off plants to improve the crop but I am rather dubious about this.

The logic in it seems flawed somehow, from the plants point of view I expect it thinks, blimey I have lost all my flowers, better grow some more quickly!!

But hard to be sure unless you do a controlled experiment, I have a similar view on pruning suckers from tomato plants, I am not sure about it.

I have chopped some bits off my tomato plants and I am not convinced it is a good idea, it looks a sadder plant.

Comment

Wouldn't you look sad if you had some of your bits chopped off!
                            Built for comfort, not speed!

Comment

I assumed it's not so much about the energy invested into flowers, but that the plants die after they've set fruit, so if you remove them they can continue growing until the first frost. I tend to remove mine. darcyvuqua, please do let us know the results of your experiment.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X