The Garlic Harvest

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wayneyquo View Post
    I'm doing that this year. Sowing in 3" pots in October. Leave in cold greenhouse until February then plant out. I need time to prepare a raised bed.
    Anyone else had experience of doing it that way?
    Could do with some tips on this method please.
    garlic needs the cold to split into cloves .... maybe start it in the greenhouse to get early growth, then put outside for some of the winter to catch some frosts, then, if we have a cold spring, move back into the greenhouse to get growth again, otherwise plant out
    garlic has lots of strong roots .... probably worth using a bigger pot, maybe 5 or 6in ....
    all of my garlic goes outside, never bother with the greenhouse ....
    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post
      garlic needs the cold to split into cloves .... start it in the greenhouse t...then put outside for some of the winter to catch some frosts
      I grow my garlic in the gh until March, then it goes out in the ground. It doesn't get frosts* but still splits into cloves

* we might have one or two frosts after March, but no real hard cold
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I pulled my garlic up today, some of them have little cloves growing partway up the stem. Does anyone know if these can be eaten or are they best planted for next years crop.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

I have experienced this too. I think that you can use them straight away in salads etc but no good to re-plant I don't think. If any one has any other uses for them please feel free to comment....

Comment

my elephant garlic is magnificent this year only 4 bulbs out of 30 under half a pound each
            don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
            remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

mine is not very good but its my first year with elephant garlic. Any tips for next season ?

Comment

Bought my garlic from a Dorset character who was taking advantage of the open village day to sell his produce from his front garden. his garlic were all huge & were in a wheelbarrow with full flower stalk attached. I said I thought you weren't supposed to let them flower to which he replied " oh no me dear" in a pitying tone. I planted the garlic & removed the flower from all but onel which I harvested later than the others when the flower was in full bloom.As you can see from the photographs it ended up the largest bulb. As I don't know the variety I've no idea whether this would work generally but the dorset character obviously knew his garlic.
                Attached Files

Comment

wayne, lots of feed.

trish - hmmm...might do the same next year then, at least the bees can enjoy it

Comment

I harvested my garlic today. Some of the bulbs have white furry stuff on outside. Is this rot and is there anyway I can get use out of them such as by drying and replanting for next year?

Thanks

Comment

It might be. Have a read through this and see

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...rlic_7827.html

....you can try stripping the outside and preserving the garlic

Comment

Thanks. That's really helpful. I'll dry it out and see what happens.

Fingers crossed! Might not have to buy new sets for next year if these dry OK.

Comment

Something to take on board for next season. They must be hard neck garlic as they send up a flower spike where as soft neck don't tend to do this.
                          Originally posted by trish60 View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]38665[/ATTACH]Bought my garlic from a Dorset character who was taking advantage of the open village day to sell his produce from his front garden. his garlic were all huge & were in a wheelbarrow with full flower stalk attached. I said I thought you weren't supposed to let them flower to which he replied " oh no me dear" in a pitying tone. I planted the garlic & removed the flower from all but onel which I harvested later than the others when the flower was in full bloom.As you can see from the photographs it ended up the largest bulb. As I don't know the variety I've no idea whether this would work generally but the dorset character obviously knew his garlic.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X