No announcement yet.

Aubergines question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have still got all my aubs in my pretend greenhouse, the house we rent has a porch which is pretty much all glass with a plastic roof. They are doing really well and one has a flower ready to open and other buds showing. Keep your fingers crossed that we will get a crop.

Comment

i bought an aubergine plant,but something is starting to eat it. I have put it in my sunniest vegplot.it only cost 49p so if it dies i wont mind too much.but i do think they look cool.do you think its got a chance?

Comment

Go for it Stacey! Give it a little Tender Loving Care, and see what happens?
        That's the way I got 'completely hooked' on growing them myself!
        Good luck and all....

Comment

im so hooked with growing veg right now that i have been sowing seeds since 8:30pm and only just stopped about 10mins ago. Even when something dissappointing happens something exciting is happening elsewhere on the plot.its amazing. could aanyone tell me how long itl be before i see an aubergine? (if succesful of course) thankyou xx

Comment

Originally posted by Kimbo View Post
            Well at least that has made my mind up for tomorrow off to wyevale it is then - they have some large plants on offer according to their website.
            Ended up going to homebase but I managed to get 2 aubergine plants (one big one smaller - hopefully will have a succession of aubergines then) for 1.79 each should have been 1.99 but 10% off day - yipee.

Comment

I got a cheap wee plant about 3 weeks ago and it has gone crazy!

I have no idea what kind it is but it's now about 10 inches tall and very very sturdy. Is there any way of me telling what kind it is?? Well other than waiting for the aubergines!

C

Comment

I'm interested by this thread as I've read a few threads which say that you're not likely to get a crop if you grow aubergines outside as we don't get enough warm weather. I'm not sure what to do with mine now (it's our first year at growing our own and so far our aub seedlings ar about 3" tall!!!!).

Also - will the plants die off or will they continue through winter (obviously need to be protected) and produce a crop again next year?

Sorry if that is a silly question - we really are total novices here!! xxx
                Nat xxx

My Rather Uninspiring Blog

Comment

I have only ever grown them as annuals, I have over-wintered a chillie plant B4.

I have also had crops outside but they are very susceptible to bad weather and a large plastic bottle cloche or similar is essential really. They need careful hardening off and a sheltered spot at the very least, also aphids love them -so keep an eye. Pick them while the fruits are still bright they go dull looking, bitter and seeds start to develop.

Comment

In the past I've grown aubergines outside on a very sunny and sheltered patio. Only got a couple of fruits per plant but at the time I didn't have a greenhouse so I call it a successful experiment! Just as long as you're aware that they like it hot, give them a bit of shelter if it goes cold/windy etc.
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Tried to buy a replacement plant yesterday (had a late death) but seems the garden centres didn't have any left. Never mind, still got two on the go so hopefully will manage a better crop than last year (couldn't get fruit to set at all then!)

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I have put my aubergines outside for several weeks now. They are progressing very slowly. The ones under a cloche - well the one that is most sheltered is doing the best, whereas the ones at the ends seem to suffer a bit of wind damage - guess we have been having quite cold nights until recently!

So, I'm still wondering whether they will produce any fruit this year....

veggiewomble

Comment

6 aubs (2 Calliopie, 4 Black Beauty) are still sitting by the patio doors in the living room, mostly cos it's still too chilly to put them in the g/h but also cos there's still not enough room in the g/h to swing a ......... aubergine plant ! 2 Calliope are on the office window sill ......... both lots west facing.

I'm desperately trying to evacuate enough room to get them into their new home, I'm a bit fed up of tripping over them.

All are looking really sturdy and can see lots of tiny buds. Because they're sitting nice and quiet, they're not getting the attention they deserve. Perhaps I'll give them a treat this weekend.

Catch up with my daily doings at http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ and http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/ but wait a while cos these are well out of date ! Don't want to ditch them entirely cos I'll never remember the urls !

Comment

The forecast is for the weather to buck up Mrskp - so we might all get a bit more room in our greenhouses! My chilli collection turned up this morning - they had a failure with one variety (Good-oh, it's not just me that happens to!) so they sent extra of the others. I have 16 where I'd ordered 12. What was I saying about room in the greenhouse? I managed to give another 2 aubergines to a friend yesterday. 7 left on the staging.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

My aubergine seems to be doing well in the growhouse and there is a flower developing.

My question is - I seem to remember something about pinching out the top but can't find/remember where I saw it. So do I need to pinch out the top at a certain point? Then what is next.

Sorry if I seem a bit dense, but I've not grown them before and the information in my books is limited and a bit vague.
                              Bright Blessings
                              Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

mine seem to be getting very bushy even without pinching out.

got a couple of buds on mine and no sign of greenfly .........yet.
                                Catch up with my daily doings at http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ and http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/ but wait a while cos these are well out of date ! Don't want to ditch them entirely cos I'll never remember the urls !

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X