No announcement yet.

Everlasting onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just happened to take some photos of my Egyptian Walking Onions this evening.
    Attached Files

Comment

I was given three of the tree onion plants by my brother in law this year and they have come on really well in the garden, but how do I harvest them and which part do I eat?
      Men do not shape destiny, Destiny produces the man for the hour.

Comment

You can eat all of them; and you can harvest once the tops fall over.

Again, co-incidentally I counted the sets made from mine last night.

I had 11, grew 8 and gave 3 away in the seed parcel that went missing.....and from those 8, have left 2 in the ground to fall over and regrow.

I had 280 sets [yes, 280] from the tops of 6 onions.

They are quite small, so I have sown a few more for presents/novelty etc and I'm saving the rest for onion emergencies.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          I just happened to take some photos of my Egyptian Walking Onions this evening.
          I usd to have some of those at the lottie..............but they've walked!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            I usd to have some of those at the lottie..............but they've walked!
            Groan......if you want a few sets sending, PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
              Groan......if you want a few sets sending, PM me.
              Thanks for the offer zazen but I grew them as a bit of a novelty, didn't eat any, and got bored with them eventually. I'll just stick with shallots I think.

What with walking onions and runner beans, aren't our veg getting fit? Apart from the couch potatoes of course!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I've got a patch of sommat, FIL gave me about 10 said just put them in and they'll split, and they did and they still are.... he thought they were called shrives but I cannot find anything close to that, anyway they've almost taken over the whole corner of that patch. He said to treat them like spring onions but they are a bu**er to get out of the ground. Are they walking or tree do you reckon?
                Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  Thanks for the offer zazen but I grew them as a bit of a novelty, didn't eat any, and got bored with them eventually. I'll just stick with shallots I think.

What with walking onions and runner beans, aren't our veg getting fit? Apart from the couch potatoes of course!
                  ...Climbing Frenchies too..très sportif ...but some of my cabbages had to sit it out the exercise with club foot.

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
                    I've got a patch of sommat, FIL gave me about 10 said just put them in and they'll split, and they did and they still are.... he thought they were called shrives but I cannot find anything close to that, anyway they've almost taken over the whole corner of that patch. He said to treat them like spring onions but they are a bu**er to get out of the ground. Are they walking or tree do you reckon?
                    Do you get proper bulbs or are they really thin like springs - they could be welsh onions - or just a quirk [there's so many out there]....

Have you got a photo? Do they taste nice?

Comment

Well, camera in hand off I toodled....
                      Pic 1 is the patch
                      I then pulled one up
                      Pic 2 is one that has split but still has a sheath
                      Pic 3 is showing sheath partly removed
                      I put the one on the right back in the ground
                      Pic 4 is the left hand one stripped ready to eat which I have just done, they are stronger than spring onions in fact breathing out is making my nose feel a bit er... runny, they are better in a whole salad in smaller doses
                      Attached Files
                      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

Comment

They look very much like welsh onions of some sort, or bunching onions.

Nice though - to have strong onions year round

Comment

Except that I've got about six/seven strings of onions stored

Actually I really need to separate them a bit as I didn't realise they'd multiply so quickly and they are a bit squahed for room. BUT the little wotsits seriously hug the ground to about an inch and a half above the roots and it's clay - I've already broken a trowel trying to lift some
                          Hayley B

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X