No announcement yet.

Onions. Should I give up?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've grown red onions for the past 2 years from sets, some planted in the autumn and some in the spring. So far, the autumn ones win hands down - much bigger, less likely to bolt. However, I've probably just been lucky - I think we've had milder winters than you (although rubbish spring and still waiting for summer to arrive!). Next year I'm seriously thinking of growing some under a cloche - the few that I had in the polytunnel last year did really well, didn't bolt and are already pulled and drying. The outdoor spring ones are still small and most have bolted. *sigh *. KG - if they start to develop flower buds on top, you can nip the buds off and leave the onions in the ground to mature. They don't keep as long, but you can still eat them. Hang on in there! I'm going to have to investigate potato onions now too! This forum has a lot to answer for! I wonder if anyone could despatch some seeds to the French seed swop... hmmm .
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

I do keep nipping out the flower buds and Im getting to be a dab hand at maximising my space...I planted beetroot and radishes between the onions so I will have something to crop from the space before the onions really start to swell!LOL

Comment

Well I was going to buy some potato onions last year, but for various boring reasons didn't. Have just ordered some now, because this thread was whispering at me to do it and I am weak willed. So, for those of you that grow them, do you plant them in the autumn or spring?

Comment

I planted mine in Spring around first week in April..
          Last edited by Tripmeup; 03-07-2013, 04:23 PM.
          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
          sigpic

Comment

I planted in spring too - started them in pots in the GH. I had 2 and each one has split into 8. Here is one of them but don't be misled about the size - they're still very small Compare them with the little weed seedlings nearby.
            Attached Files

Comment

Looking at VC's pic these potato onions might just allow me to cheat to achieve a challenge I set myself some time ago.

To fill one of my round containers with nice onions all touching each other, would just need to time it right.

Potty
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                *And I've taken to growing potato onions; smaller but such a good return on investment.
                Ithought you were all joking about 'potato onions' never heard of them. Googled them and they're real. You learn something new every day! What's good about them, doesn't it mean a huge amount of peeling?

Comment

Originally posted by jayjaybee View Post
                  Ithought you were all joking about 'potato onions' never heard of them. Googled them and they're real. You learn something new every day! What's good about them, doesn't it mean a huge amount of peeling?
                  They are so powerful that you only need one instead of a normal size onion. You get about 6-10 for each one you plant during the autumn/spring. They are hardy and last outside in a UK winter. They are the springer's swingers in our house.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    I planted in spring too - started them in pots in the GH. I had 2 and each one has split into 8. Here is one of them but don't be misled about the size - they're still very small Compare them with the little weed seedlings nearby.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]37544[/ATTACH]
                    They start bulking up now that mid summer has gone; they start to push themselves up out of the ground as they bulk up and you almost end up with a sphere of onions held into the ground with some roots. If you harvest and don't separate they expand into a nearly sphere and if they are oddly shaped when you separate, in a few days they change shape to be almost round again. They are amazing!

Try loosening the soil around them - it allows them to bulk up more.

Comment

Thanks Zaz - I wondered whether I should be helping them in some way
                      16 onions from 2 planted is pretty amazing - the dog should be proud of them

Comment

Thanks for the responses, might try just a couple in autumn just to compare and contrast

Comment

Pics of mine which went in during March

The red ones are mrs H's and the others are be ones VC has got hopefully.
                          You can see how they are pushing themselves up out of the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app
                          Attached Files

Comment

This is my second stab at growing onions - not the best year to choose with such a cold start. The first time (in a different garden) they didn't round out as I expected (but tasted fine), but this year things look more hopeful. Interesting to read that people have struggled with red onions - my reds are doing worse than my white. The whites are suddenly looking a nice shape and an okay size, if not huge. Are they meant to sit above ground, or did I plant too shallow?
                            Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

Hi MrsC, they sound fine, that's what they do, sit above ground that is. You plant them so that the tip is just showing.

The potato onions I ordered have arrived today. They look like shallots. So, will they keep until next spring or should I stick em in modules under cover in the autumn....decisions

Comment

The tops of my potato onions were munched ! Grr, slime trails nearby, so I'm guessing our dear friends.

I've lifted them now, they're quite small bulbs, but from the 6 or so I was given (thank you!) I know have enough to re-plant next year then hopefully share out again come harvest time 2014.

I'm drying them out now -but curious has anyone tried growing these spud onions by overwintering?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X