Overcrowded tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overcrowded tomatoes

I think I may have planted my tomatoes too close together. I have 4ft gravel trays on which I have 4 toms planted in BFB's.(one in each). They are doing really well but I can't see the wood for the trees, so's to speak. So much foliage! The toms have produced nice trusses, most of which have fruit setting but I'm worried that not enough light will get to the fruit because of the abundance of strong healthy leaves.............what to do?

Can I cut back the foliage? If so by how much? and when?

Any advice appreciated

I have taken all the leaves up to the first truss off of mine to increase air circulation! My first year growing in a green house and I'm trying not to get b****t
    In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

Could you space the pots further apart?

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
        Could you space the pots further apart?
        No can do, unfortunately. Hubbie put canes in the pots and tied them to a frame. If I take everything apart I'll probably damage not only the plants but the root system too.

Could I cut the leaves back - say halfway?

Comment

Got any pictures? I would try and leave as many leaves on as possible unless it really is a jungle. The plants need the leaves for growth, but you need to balance this with a good airflow.
          Last edited by rustylady; 28-06-2013, 08:43 PM. Reason: can't spell

Comment

May not be to much of a problem.

I grow in BFB's have done for lots of years. They are very close together 8ft GH 6 plants and a cumber down each side with room to spare for a bench at the end.

I start to cut of the lower foliage when the leaves turn brown, then they have done their job and are of no more use.

Pics were taken a few days ago.

Potty
            Attached Files
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I've been cutting mine back by between a third to half of the length to just above where two small leaves are growing as mine are planted close this year. I'm up to half way of the total height on each plant and it doesn't seem to have affect them. Will know by the end of summer though if my yield is down or not compared to others on here
              www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X