No announcement yet.

Growing seeds to eat !!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nigella/black onion seeds (same thing) nice in naan bread and Bombay potatoes

Vanilla orchid - it's a vine orchid so you need to give it a pole to climb up and hand pollinate.

I've got a coffee plant from Eden which I double will ever produce coffee but is pretty.

Chickpeas work in good weather. I bough some lentils this year so will let you know.
    Last edited by ecudc; 12-03-2018, 10:54 PM.
    Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
    Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
    Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
    Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

I picked up some Breadseed Poppy seeds at a seedswap today and it reminded me of this thread.
      How embarrassing.
      I've been talking about this for years and still haven't started an "edible seed plot"

Will I in 2019???

Comment

^^^ No, Failed again.

Maybe 2020!!
        Thanks for the reminder about Cumin, Snadger.

Comment

I'll join you in those efforts VC! I want an edible seed plot too So, I'm aiming now to grow:
          - poppy seeds
          - cumin
          - dill
          - amaranth (I'm sure I got seeds last year)
          - coriander
          - nigella seeds (can you buy seeds for that?)
          - caraway
          - fennel
          - radish seed pods

I'm going to have to re-read this thread!
          Last edited by SarrissUK; 08-02-2020, 06:34 PM. Reason: Added more!
          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Are most of the legumes not grown for edible seeds?Or have you mentioned these VC.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Yes you have, sorry Peas and Beans.
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Not a large list

Fennel
                Coriander
                Poppy
                For drying then Nasturtium and radish to pickle.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I love eating seeds from shops so will follow this with interest. We go through loads for our bird area which is lush in late summer as we get dozens of sunflowers popping up
                  Anything is possible with the right attitude, a hammer
                  and a roll of duct tape.

Weeds have mastered the art of survival, if they are not in your way, let them feed bees

Comment

This year I'm growing sunflowers specifically for the seeds, though not for me to eat, but for my pet rodents. They love sunflower seeds.

Comment

Coriander

Looking through my seed stash I've found Coriander seeds marked "for leaf". Being easily confused I wondered whether there was a different type of Coriander "for seed".

It seems that the difference is that "leaf" coriander is slower to run to seed than.........yes, you've guessed, the coriander that isn't sold as "leaf".

Comment

I've noticed that as well VC found a link that says it depends were you live to what its called.

https://delishably.com/spices-season...ander-cilantro
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

............and if you live in Mexico, you grow Mexican Coriander/ Culantro/ Eryngium foetidum

https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_525J_culantro

Eryngium foetidum - Useful Tropical Plants

...........and yes, I do have seeds - they were in the Coriander bag.
                          Last edited by veggiechicken; 09-02-2020, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            Looking through my seed stash I've found Coriander seeds marked "for leaf". Being easily confused I wondered whether there was a different type of Coriander "for seed".

It seems that the difference is that "leaf" coriander is slower to run to seed than.........yes, you've guessed, the coriander that isn't sold as "leaf".
                            That's why I have a dislike for Corriander leaf (tastes like how I imagine cats pee would taste) but I like the seeds. I've probably been chewing on the wrong type.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Amaranth - I asked Real Seeds about this a few years. I thought I would post my question and their response below as it may help some peeps.

Me: Is there any reason why you would not use your grain amaranth for leaf and vice versa?

Real Seeds: The short answer is yes, but with some qualifications.

Some amaranths have white seeds, some have black. You *can't* eat the black seeds - these vars (mainly the W. Indian calalloos / and Indian leaf vars, but including our Hopi Red Dye) are for the leaves only.

Our mixed leaf amaranth has white seeds, so yes, you can eat these. However, it is specifically selected to flower very late in the season (to maximise leaf output) - we have to grow it in a tunnel in order to get seed. If you're in the S. East, you may get seed outdoors in a good season.

Our mixed grain amaranth - you can eat the leaves, but it is selected for relatively early flowering, and high production of seed as compared to leaf. Also, if you eat too many of the leaves, you won't get much grain.

Comment

Thanks NG
                                Amaranth/calalloo confuses me so much I've never attempted to grow it.
                                There are some that seem to be ornamental rather than edible

How to process the seeds......... https://www.realseeds.co.uk/amaranthprocessing.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X