Growing seeds to eat !!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rary View Post
    Can you keep the seed of rats tail radish, and do they self seed as my son has several plants of them in his garden where I can get the seeds or plants from
    If you haven't let other radishes etc go to seed then yes you should be able to seed save them for tre seeds, just let the pods go brown but pick them before they split otherwise you'll have tons of self sown ratstails next year.

I grew them once and pickled them but didn't like them much so unlikely that I'll grow them again. You can do the same with other radish seed pods as well.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
      If you haven't let other radishes etc go to seed then yes you should be able to seed save them for tre seeds, just let the pods go brown but pick them before they split otherwise you'll have tons of self sown ratstails next year.

I grew them once and pickled them but didn't like them much so unlikely that I'll grow them again. You can do the same with other radish seed pods as well.
      Seem to remember you can use them instead of hops for beer..............or did i dream that?
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Can a Kind Mod merge this thread with http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ing_87826.html please.
        I seem to have asked the same question twice and still haven't sown these edible seeds
        Maybe 2018's project (amongst others)

Comment

Still looking for a Kind Mod ^^^^^ There must be one?

Comment

Don't think sweetcorn has been mentioned on this old thread?

Just do summat norty VC.........that'll get there attention!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Will this do?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Still looking for a Kind Mod ^^^^^ There must be one?
                I've merged them
                Last edited by Bren In Pots; 16-02-2018, 01:24 PM.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks Bren. You receive the Kind Mod of the Day Award

Comment

Amaranth

Interesting article (I thought so anyway)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...he-garden.html

Comment

Soya? Temperamental but it seems to be turning up in more catalogues now.

I grew giant butterbeans (Greek Gigantes) last year for drying for the winter soups, they were delicious. I put them in a part of the plot that's a bit hard to get to when everything else is growing as I knew I could just let them get on with it. And get on with it they certainly did!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

We have wild amaranth around the place. I view it as a potential weed... All those seeds... We don't eat it - as the seeds are exceedingly small. Maybe a cultivated version would be better. I don't think I'll be trying it.

That said, I did actually grow some once in a garden. People kept stopping and peering over the gate and asking me what it was. Really. Sad thing is it came out of a packet of mixed flower seeds and I had no idea (back in the dim and distant pre-internet past).

Love the sound of the Greek Gigantes, BW. I just love butterbeans.
                        Last edited by Snoop Puss; 07-03-2018, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Lentils, spelt and oats?

Found a news article about 6 months ago about a firm growing lentils in Hertfordshire. If they can grow them, then they’re definitely worth a try in Wales!

Comment

Hi VC! I grow fennel to make tea out of the seeds. Also coriander to crush with olives and feta. Nigella for me and the birds. This year for the first time I grew teasels for seeds for the birds and yesterday I got 3 finches... never had them before
                            You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Ancee x
                              Not quite edible seeds (I don't think?) but I left a clump of verbena bonariensis which attracted the goldfinches - easily a dozen+ at a time.
                              I also cut some stems and hung them from the clothes line The finches hung there as it twirled around in the wind - like riding a carousel at the fair.

Comment

I think green coriander seed is much nicer than dry.
                                I really like lovage seed.
                                I think quinoa is the better choice than amaranth. Over the course of a few years, the amaranth plants became smaller and smaller. At a wild guess it might be like mais, of which apparently you need to grow ~200 plants to prevent inbreeding. And amaranth chaff is much tougher, so imperfect winnowing makes for a poor meal.

Pumpkin, poppy, Sunflower, Coriander and Fenugreek are annual
                                Fennel and Szechuan pepper are perennial

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X