No announcement yet.

Ants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a fan of being bitten by ants, and those jumping jack ants are totally n@sty! But since ants eat termites I feel a need to be reasonable to them, if they are reasonable to me, since the ants are less likely to eat me out of my home. Termites are a terrible problem round here.
    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Originally posted by snakeshack View Post
      If you mix borax about 1 teaspoon with about 1 tablespoon of golden syrup or jam etc and place it out near the nest under cover to prevent rain washing it away ,the ants will come and collect it in huge numbers ,take it back to the nest and feed it to all the other ants,including the queen,this may not completely kill the nest but will certainly reduce the numbers to managable proportions,repeat as necessary
      ..................and you'll conquer any Boron defficiency in that area at the same time!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I noticed black ants running up and down my peach tree in the greenhouse this evening! As long as they leave the peaches for me, I'm not unduly worried!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

(making myself look even more like a nut)....feral007, dont suppose you could post me some fertilized flying queen Ants or Termites?... (hows about that for going off a subject).
          Please don't tap the glass

2013, first year of trying to grow food for the table, any advice certainly welcomed.

Comment

I never used to have a problem with ants on the allotments, I did my thing and they did theirs.

Had a mix of both black and reds.

Then last year I got stung by a couple of red critters, didn't anything of it, as it was nothing unusual, and normally only resulted in a little raised spot.

This time however the pain was quite intense and then the swelling started. I had to drive home. The stings were on the back of my hand and one on the wrist, my arm swelled up and my fingers were like sausages, could even bend them, then my wrist swollen so I couldn't bend it.

The odd thing was that the swelling only went as far as the elbow, upper arm not affected at all.

Went to the doctor's and she said, "Do the ants in this country sting then"
            I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

Theres a species of red ant called Rubra and they can sting like a nettle, or is it a wasp.... I think its a nettle, you might of had a bad reaction to it.
              Please don't tap the glass

2013, first year of trying to grow food for the table, any advice certainly welcomed.

Comment

Personally, I think that my immunity to them has gone. As I said they never used to cause me much problems, got stung and just had a little bump that irritated.
                Probably all the tablets I have to take nowadays
                I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X