Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    An idea for you all to consider
    Take a pallet and put it, horizontally, up on legs/a stand, whatever.
    Put sides around the flat top to make a box.
    Line the pallet with membrane.
    Plant your tomato facing down through holes cut in the membrane and through the slats of the pallet.
    Fill the top box with compost.
    Plant top with lettuces, herbs etc.

Dammit, this is such a good idea I may have to try it
    I know a few people who have this set up on balconies/terraces and it looks really nice- rows of salad, herbs and some bigger things like tomatoes. Bit heavy though.
    Personally I rather fancy the bottle gardens but think my neighbours might complain even more if I start putting things they view as rubbish on the balcony :-(

Comment

I'm going to grow a couple of tomatoes in hanging baskets this year. This is because this particular variety (Garden Pearl) is a small bush plant and last year I found the fruit was on the floor a lot of the time and trying to keep them off the floor was a nightmare.

I have bought large cone baskets so I can plant them quite deep and I'm going to add water retaining crystals to the compost. Actually I think I will plant them up this week.
      Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        An idea for you all to consider
        Take a pallet and put it, horizontally, up on legs/a stand, whatever.
        Put sides around the flat top to make a box.
        Line the pallet with membrane.
        Plant your tomato facing down through holes cut in the membrane and through the slats of the pallet.
        Fill the top box with compost.
        Plant top with lettuces, herbs etc.

Dammit, this is such a good idea I may have to try it
        I'm struggling with visualising this VC.
        If you make a box will it not be dark in there? will they grow whichever way up they are if there is not enough light? Do you mean sides around the pallet itself, or sides around the legs making a box?
        Proud Member of the Celery Stalk Nutters Club
        www.annesgardeningdiary.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfeet View Post
          I'm struggling with visualising this VC.
          If you make a box will it not be dark in there? will they grow whichever way up they are if there is not enough light? Do you mean sides around the pallet itself, or sides around the legs making a box?
          Sorry it has just dawned on me what you mean, Doh!
          Proud Member of the Celery Stalk Nutters Club
          www.annesgardeningdiary.blogspot.com

Comment

Made like a table with a frame around the top to keep the soil in place. Like a raised bed on legs
            Any plants growing downwards would need to be on the outside edges for the light.
            Don't forget - I'm making this up as I go along
            And I did wake up with a new idea as promised! One of those plastic crates that bread is delivered to shops in, or a smaller scale plastic drinks delivery crate. They have ready made holes in the base. I'm still "working" on this one but a small one could be swinging from a tree near here very soon

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X