No announcement yet.

How are everyones aubergines doing?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 2 in the greenhouse but the slugs have been after them. They are looking v sorry for themselves. It's probably a bit too cold for the as well as the greenhouse isn't heated but I have no other room for them. Might have to buy some more :-(

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Flowers? 5" pots? Damn, wish I'd never asked!!
      He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
        Flowers? 5" pots? Damn, wish I'd never asked!!
        Mine don't have flowers if that's any help . I have noticed that the ones I repotted (which would have been the healthiest plants but not massively different when potted on) are now considerably bigger than the ones still in 3" pots so they really have benefited from the extra space and compost if done at the right time.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Mine are the size of my thumb A bit spindly, perhaps they need repotting on...
          You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Originally posted by ancee View Post
            Mine are the size of my thumb A bit spindly, perhaps they need repotting on...
            Not if they are that small - there will be too much compost in a bigger pot, and that will hold more much water than they can "drink" in a reasonable time - which leads to roots getting waterlogged.

Seedlings I would prick out to small modules/cells (1"-ish square), if the seedling is 2"-ish tall I would then pot on to 9cm pot, and once it fills that with roots (probably about 4"-ish tall) I would pot on to 5" / 1L pot. By then they will be motoring and can be potted on as-and-when they fill the pots with roots, or plant out, in clod greenhouse border, once the weather is warm enough - I usually do that towards the end of May (mine are in heated greenhouse, minimum 10C, until then)
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

My aubergine leaves are going spiky - I'm taking this as a sign that they're doing well! It's my first full year of growing them (had a bit of a go last year but started them way too late) so I have no idea what I'm doing.

A couple of plants are in 5" containers and getting pretty bushy. These will need repotting again soon since the roots are starting to poke out the bottom of the containers. The others are still in 4" pots and much smaller (and less spiky!). I've had them in the greenhouse ever since mid-March and they seem happy enough, though no flowers yet. I haven't got greenhouse borders so will need to stay in pots - does anybody know what size container they will need when they're fully grown?

Comment

I was a bit late and didn't sow mine until mid March, but they are growing on well. Pictured are the variety Diamond, they were started in a heated propagator and then grown on under lights. Photo was taken last week before I potted them on into 1lt pots. Seeds came from Real Seeds a few years back. I think I'm now out of seed so I better get saving this year, fingers crossed.
                Attached Files
                Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Originally posted by catgirl View Post
                  does anybody know what size container they will need when they're fully grown?
                  Sounds like yours are growing well, and way ahead of mine Those thorns can get quite big on some types. What variety are you growing?
                  Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Originally posted by poly View Post
                    Sounds like yours are growing well, and way ahead of mine Those thorns can get quite big on some types. What variety are you growing?
                    I'd better get some thick gardening gloves then, I always end up with thorns in my hands off the rosebushes! I'm growing Black Beauty aubergines. They look so different from your plants, judging by the picture you posted!

Comment

Germination was no problem here though done in a heated propagator. Our main problem is that the mild winter has meant a huge infestation of green fly, all around the new growth. I have been trying to knock them off with a hand sprayer, rub them off with my fingers, and even tried spraying with a strong solution of eau de Cologne.... the result was we now have the best smelling greenfly in France!

Now the weather has turned colder, they seem to be growing very slowly and even though I have repotted them a couple of times, they are still depressingly small. I will be pinching them out when they reach 12 inches or so tall, as I have read that will produce the best crop. Previously I have just left them to their own accords, resulting in a couple of nice large fruit at first, but then just a lot of small ones. I would ideally like to get them to produce four or five large aubergines for each plant.

Comment

Originally posted by Chippy Minton View Post
                        Stoopid Aubergines
                        Having said that checked the seed tray tonight and another 2 have decided to make an appearance Probably too late though so it'll be the usual pretty flower and no fruit Stoopid Aubergines
                        Last edited by Chippy Minton; 01-05-2014, 07:19 PM. Reason: Can't type "no", fingers must be too fat as well :)

Comment

I've ordered a couple of plug plants just in case. I am DETERMINED to have aubergines.
                          He-Pep!

Comment

Well 2014 was a disaster on the aubergine front again! 1 small aubergine from loads of different plants/varieties - the one fruit was on a grafted 'Scorpion' plant that I rescued from Q&B.

So I'm resurrecting this thread - how are everyone's aubergines doing in 2015?

I have Bonica, Baby Belle and Farmer's long, all currently about 4" high in small pots.
                            He-Pep!

Comment

Looking OK. Maybe 6 inches high and the strongest ones are now in 7" pots. Up with last year, when we got an acceptable crop.

Moneymaker (historically my most successful, though change of seed company worries me)
                              Bonica (first time with these, someone here recommended them)
                              Black enorma (first time too, can't recall why I bought the seed)
                              Galine (spelling?)
                              Garden Grower
                              Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Mine are still only about 3 inches high. Growing Black Beauty this year, but they seem really slow
                                What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                                Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X