No announcement yet.

cucumber plants dying?? help!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well I lost the plant /: I basically touched the stem and it just seperated where the stem met the soil, im almost sure i overwatered it, the soil was soaked, the other ones look a bit better, i havent watered them for a few days. Im now putting them in the greenhouse during the day and bring them back in at night.

Comment

Sounds like too much water, sorry! I give all my plants tough love - wait until the soil is dry to touch, then stand them in a tray of water until they've slurped up enough to make the top of the compost feel damp (not soggy).

Comment

Sounds like stem rot to me to.

Not to late to set new seed.

Potty
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I sowed my cues yesterday - but then, I've late for everything

Comment

I have 6 other good healthy plants, the same age, I also sewed 9 last week as back up and they are just coming up now its a learning experience for sure, i must ask while im here... should tomatoes and be watered in a similar fashion as not directly onto the stem bit and just stood in some water (and for how long approx :s)

Its funny though from all the plants/seedlings thus year, some of the strongest ones were the ones that might have been missed and kept not dry but i spose tough love kinda way :L

Comment

Water from below whenever you can. Avoid having wet, cold compost around the stems - they don't like that!! About 10 minutes should be enough to suck up the water.
              Think about a plant growing in the garden, when we have a downpour there is enough volume of soil for the water to drain away (apart from flood time!) so the plants don't have wet soil around their stems. In a pot, there's nowhere for the water to drain away, so the soil stays wet and stems and roots will rot.
              If you have 6 healthy plants, I'm sure the other one was just an unfortunate accident. We all lose some plants along the way

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X