Okay So I cheated and bought a few plug plants.. :S

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Irish-Veg View Post
    That is true, One of the tomato plants, of the "tumblr" variety is just developing a flowrer head!! Ikm so excited lol
    little yellow petals are now beginning to be visibile, do i have to start feeding now?
    I have it on my patio during the day and bring it in at night, its in a converted fruit basket/hamper type thing

Also the "sunbaby" that had a few suss leaves, the bottom stalk/truss? has bascially withered to nothing but there is a healty sideshoot coming from it, is it worth letting the sideshoot grow or just wasting energy (im assuming sideshoots wont produce fruit or do they??)
    I would wait for feeding until you can see baby tomatoes instead of the yellow flowers.

Could you post a picture of the Sunbaby so we can judge what has happened to it?

Comment

yes, will do, 2 minutes

Comment

I have attatched a few photos, one showing the discoloured leaves, there is one with showing a bit with no leaves on (left) the leaves were brown and completly dead so i removed them :S

the plant in the basket is the tumblr, its not that big really...
        Attached Files

Comment

damn and here a photo showing the upcoming flowers, the sun today is really appreciated
          Attached Files

Comment

Right - your Tumbler is fine.

Your Sunbaby has simply lost one of it's leaves. The growing tip is fine. If I were you I would carefully snap off the remains of that leaf. (Left hand side of picture No. 2). Easiest way to do this is to put your thumb at the base of what remains and press upwards. If you're unsure about doing this simply leave it. It will fall off soon anyway.

Comment

okay cool, and the yellow leaves is just windburn yeah? it has improved dramatically since I got it and its now in a greenhouse by day and back in at night.

Comment

It's going to need some support soon Irish. When are you going to put it in the greenhouse permanently, and are you going to grow it to maturity in a pot, a growbag, or greenhouse border?

Comment

it'll be wither a pot or growbag, will they thrive just as much as then in comparison to a border?

Comment

Depends on what the soil is like in your greenhouse really. Tomatoes do fine in large pots (I use Morrisons flower buckets) or growbags, but you do need to keep an eye on the watering.

Comment

well I could use a mix of compost and soil along with the liquid feeding every week when fruit starts to set?

and while I'm here, you know thje large buckets shops etc have for Mayonaise, would they be okay or would they not be deep enough? because I have about 8 around the place and Id like to use them for something, I can always do a few quickcrops like salads/spinach or something in them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X