No announcement yet.

Growing tomatoes up strings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer canes but canes get expensive when you plant a lot of toms.
    Last edited by Scarlet; 08-05-2013, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Ack! See what happens when your computer keeps breaking down and you can't keep up with the responses! Lol . So much information! Which is wonderful, thank you all. OK... well 5ft ish canes seem to cost almost £2 for 3 in our local diy/garden centre, which is quite a lot really if you want a few. I'll try to cut something ready for next year but need something ready-made this year, 'cos my toms is growin' really fast at the moment (fingers crossed). Hence the interest in string. Having said that, I've bought a ball of green jute string which is labelled as garden string, and looks like normal UK brown garden string, so it probably won't be strong enough so I'll try to find something else before disaster strikes. I've already tied the string around the stem near the base of the plant, so I'm hoping it won't hurt it ... bit late at this stage to put the string in the bottom of the pot, but a good tip for next year . I'm not sure how else I'd 'fix' it at the base - I'm growing in pots in a glass 'conseravtory' (read ugly glass box) on the front of the house, and the frame is aluminium, although OH has fixed an overhead wire to wood he's screwed to the top. So hopefully this year we'll avoid blight, the strings will hold and we might even get a crop . Next year might be better planned though .
      sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

The main advantage of using strings is that you don't need to tie the plant to a cane as it grows, you just twist it around the string! You also can't poke your eye out on a string.........
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'm always poking myself in the eye with stuff in the garden.
          Lynne x

Comment

Go to £land, pick up 10 metres of speaker wire fo a squid, split it down the middle..........20 metres should go a fair way me thinks............
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

^^^^^ Genius! I've been wondering what to do with all those reels of assorted wire in the shed - speaker, phone.......etc etc.

Comment

Our after you prune your Autumn fruiting raspberries next spring,you could keep the long canes & use instead of bamboo maybe ??
                He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

They go brittle BB - but I do have a clump of bamboo and hazels to coppice
                  The wire is annoying me though - I know it must be useful for something (apart from wiring!!)

Comment

why string not canes ?

Comment

Simples, I'm tight
                      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        ^^^^^ Genius! I've been wondering what to do with all those reels of assorted wire in the shed - speaker, phone.......etc etc.
                        You could use some of it to mark out that SFG bed you wasn't planning on making..........
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

You mean this one :- http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1123698
                          Last edited by veggiechicken; 08-05-2013, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tel View Post
                            Another method is to make a ball of string and bury it under the plant before you plant it out then just run the string up along side the plant to what ever you are securing the string to at the top.I've always grown my toms up canes is there any advantage in growing up strings???
                            Definitely the best method. Mine are grown in a polytunnel so I tie the string to a cropbar, then make a loop at ground level, bung the tom on top and the roots grow through the loop and pin the string in the ground. After a couple of weeks to let the plant get esablished, gently wind the stem around the string.

Never use canes in a polytunnel. Yanking them out of the ground is tough after 6 months or so in the ground, and once you've heard the sickening pop of a polytunnel cover, you never bring canes inside again!!
                            Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              That's the one, I knew you wasn't planning one somewhere.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X