No announcement yet.

Watering spuds through mulch query

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or you could plant some bottles or Morrisons buckets between the rows, and water into that
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      or you could plant some bottles or Morrisons buckets between the rows, and water into that
      Good plan! I'll only end up breaking the foliage if I try and lift the cardboard!
      http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Originally posted by vikkib View Post
        Lovely! Thanks all!

I've mulched the main crop spuds but ran out of shredded paper for the first earlies but there's a steady stream of the stuff so I'll keep going as I get more.

I've laid cardboard in between the rows which I can easily lift once the nematodes I'll order arrive so I can give the area a soak with those to try and prevent the slug damage.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35226[/ATTACH]

I'm going to try and resist the urge to water the plants unless they're actually wilting and see how it goes. The spuds are at the furthest point from the water and my back will greatly appreciate not lugging watering cans back and forth!
        Hope the wind doesn't get up..................
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Its generally advised not to water or feed potatoes until the flowers have formed methinks? Anyway, the whole idea of using mulches is so you don't need to water!
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            the whole idea of using mulches is so you don't need to water!
            Yes, if your ground is wet it's a good time to add mulch, to trap the water in the soil. However, my soil is incredibly light & sandy, and it's never wet. We've had nothing but a light sprinkle for nearly six weeks now

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              Yes, if your ground is wet it's a good time to add mulch, to trap the water in the soil. However, my soil is incredibly light & sandy, and it's never wet. We've had nothing but a light sprinkle for nearly six weeks now
              Ruth Stout would have a stock answer for you TS "Add more mulch"

Diversify & prosper

Comment

lol

I'm trying, I'm trying.

I was mulching with pondweed and Norfolk Broads reeds today. Bladdy stuff clagging up our small frog pond

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X