• Time
  • Show
Clear All

all mine are going in tomorrow,latest ever
    don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
    remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

So I'm NOT the latest, then! Just that I met our painter chap a few days ago and he was saying he put his in weeks ago! I was surprised, as it's been sub zero! We had a couple of mild days, so I figured I'd dig a shallow trench to drop them in, cover them with the soil and then mulch on top to warm them.

Some of my mains (Roosters) weren't overly enthusiastic with their chitting, either, but they are having a go, so I figured it was one job done to get them in!

Comment

Was going to do the rest after lunch. Guess what, now heavy showers!

Comment

We're forecast a dry morning with rain coming in at 1pm, so my potatoes are going in first thing tomorrow
          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

With the exception of the polytunnel spuds I normally plant my potatoes about this time of year so I don't consider it late as yet. Am probably going to plant them out in the next week but may delay slightly, not sure yet.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              With the exception of the polytunnel spuds I normally plant my potatoes about this time of year so I don't consider it late as yet. Am probably going to plant them out in the next week but may delay slightly, not sure yet.
              I am so glad to hear you say that. I really must borrow a soil probe and check the temerature below ground. It still feels really cold to me. (I know you have a much later last frost date than me but as I said before we are much higher than the weather station and N facing.)
              Last edited by marchogaeth; 13-04-2013, 08:17 AM.
              "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

put my spuds in this morning .just got done before the inevitable deluge
                don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

I came across a few spuds in the ground while clearing some ground on the allotment today, they had sprouted vigorously so obviously the soil is now warm enough down here.
                  My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                  Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I think the soil is fine here - though I grow mine in bags...
                    My challenge is that I need to order the 1m cubed bag of stuff (black fenland soil and rotted horse manure - lovely stuff!) but it will need barrowing from top of garden (parking area) to bottom of garden; but that needs a day - but I also need to replace 3 falling apart beds with 3 new beds to take some of the compost - but they need building - but that needs at least a day - and we're visiting family tomorrow, it's raining now, and we have guests next weekend - which will probably mean 27th for the potatoes to go in! Later than I wanted - I'd rather put them in now - I just hope they will catch up!!

Comment

Put most of mine in today, i'm away next weekend and i wanted to get at least some of them in... Marfona and Charlotte are resolutely refusing to sprout, so i'm giving them another two weeks.
                      He-Pep!

Comment

My earlies today.
                        See RockDust thread.
                        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ockdust-3.html

Last edited by Madasafish; 13-04-2013, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                          Just bought 8 Maris Piper seed potatoes, two packs of fleece and 5 module trays all for the bargain price of £4 in Poundland!
                          Warning! Do NOT buy these module trays. You have been warned!
                          He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                            Warning! Do NOT buy these module trays. You have been warned!
                            Why?

Are they ones that go really fragile and break?

Comment

My Arran Pilots in all 15 of them, there's 3 to a recycling box then the last 3 went into buckets.
                              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Arran Pilots and Maris Piper all went in on Saturday. Fellow plot holder was saying how he dad was giving him grief "ooh, you gotta get yer tates in" - he's been putting them in the same date for 50 years....
                                A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X