No announcement yet.

what is the most unusual thing that you have grown

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugar substitute Stevia was my unusual one last year.
    My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

Seeing as 2015 was my first ever attempt at growing veggies anything is classed as exotic to me

This year I'm looking forward to having a bash at Cucamelons, Patty Pan Squash, Butternut Squash and Melons I have already put in an order for a scorcher of a summer
      If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamD View Post
        Sugar substitute Stevia was my unusual one last year.
        How did that go for you?
        It's one I would like to try

Comment

Originally posted by bevbat22 View Post
          Hello, l'm new to This green fingers lark😃 Any tips to grow a lychee tree from the fruit pips? If thats what you call them...cheers!
          There's an old thread here with some tips.
          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ychee_287.html

Comment

I've not grown them yet but Monkey Nuts are a first for me.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Growing old for me is unusual. I've never been old before

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                How did that go for you?
                It's one I would like to try
                Not bad SP. It's easy to grow but turning the leaves into a usable product took a bit of trial and error. Steeping fresh leaves in a cup of tea wasn't effective enough. Making a powder you can use in baking - I did that but haven't used it yet. The most effective thing was soaking leaves in water for a few days then using that water as a sweetener: pour a splash into a cup of tea, etc. Pics here.
                My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamD View Post
                  Not bad SP. It's easy to grow but turning the leaves into a usable product took a bit of trial and error. Steeping fresh leaves in a cup of tea wasn't effective enough. Making a powder you can use in baking - I did that but haven't used it yet. The most effective thing was soaking leaves in water for a few days then using that water as a sweetener: pour a splash into a cup of tea, etc. Pics here.
                  Thank you. That's really helpful. I wasn't sure how you went from leaves to healthy sugar rush.

Comment

I've grown Stevia but found the leaves were too overwhelmingly sweet - perhaps because I don't take sugar in coffee or drink sugary drinks. Just touching my tongue to a leaf was too much!
                    If you find an easy way to use it, William, let us know.

Comment

About 15 years ago I brought back a loquat seed from Israel.

I grew it on the kitchen windowsill for about 6 years and then finally managed to accidentally kill it off. ( as with most indoor plants!)
                      Needless to say it never flowered or fruited!
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

last year (as my first year) I stuck with more traditional varieties - this year I've gone a 'bit' more exotic - cucamelons and lemon apple cucumber, purple carrots etc. I'm desperate to try spaghetti squash and turks turban but I don't currently have space

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X