No announcement yet.

Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"After planting, garlic needs a cool, one- to two-month period at temperatures of 0-10°C (32-50°F) for good bulb development"

"On heavy, wet soils garlic is best started off in modules in the autumn, overwintered in a cold frame and planted out in the spring" Garlic / Royal Horticultural Society

I plant mine in modules now, they do much better than if I do them outside in autumn

from the Garlic Farm, IoW: "some spring planting varieties can be planted up to April, but most varieties fair best if planted before December"

"it is better to plant earlier rather than later to ensure the plant experiences the cold weather necessary for the plant to vernalise"
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 23-03-2013, 09:28 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have planted in March once before and basically had to wait until the following summer (i.e. 18 months) to harvest them. But that was 2011 when the seasons stuck to the time of year they were supposed to. Bear in mind though I only had about 6 bulbs and it wasn't so much that I waited for them to bulb up but rather that I lost them and only found them 18 months later when they bothered to put on some top growth.

I have heard of people putting garlic in the fridge to encourage it to vernalise? Never tried it though, and probably wouldn't bother if outside temps were hovering around 5 degrees anyway. It's colder outside here today than it is in my fridge.
      Proud member of the Nutters Club.
      Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

i planted some last autumn, which are now coming through, I also got some spring planting types which will go in as soon as this snow clears. I think the suppliers do something to the spring planting ones to make them suitable for planting this time of year though.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          "After planting, garlic needs a cool, one- to two-month period at temperatures of 0-10°C (32-50°F) for good bulb development"

"On heavy, wet soils garlic is best started off in modules in the autumn, overwintered in a cold frame and planted out in the spring" Garlic / Royal Horticultural Society

I plant mine in modules now, they do much better than if I do them outside in autumn

from the Garlic Farm, IoW: "some spring planting varieties can be planted up to April, but most varieties fair best if planted before December"

"it is better to plant earlier rather than later to ensure the plant experiences the cold weather necessary for the plant to vernalise"
          vernalise?that means,with the uk weather that if planted in summer they will still be okay,as we are now into spring we should just think of this snow as "decoration" and plough on regardless..

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
            vernalise?that means,with the uk weather that if planted in summer they will still be okay,as we are now into spring we should just think of this snow as "decoration" and plough on regardless..
            As I said - although garlic does apparently need a period of cold - it's the day length that fattens the bulbs and if they have no roots on them now [ie they are just going in] then you are not likely to see fattening up between now and in 12 weeks time when the longest day arrives; as they will be too busy growing roots.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              They'll grow - but may not be as big as they might have been if they'd been planted before Christmas.
              Thank you. I have hardneck garlic from B&Q and softneck garlic from Tesco and Sainsburys as an experiment! Will see what happens, but I take note to sow it in December next time. Thank you!
              http://savinglives.ahar.ie/

Comment

I start mine in October. That gives it time to establish a root system before winter sets in.

Comment

I planted mine in Feb as is the habit in these parts .
                  This year I was given a couple of Kilo of free organic garlic that was sprouting in the shop and could not be sold :-) I chose the biggest cloves and they are now about 10cm high

David

Comment

Since you have them you have 2 realistic options:
                    1) Put in the ground,
                    2) Cook with them.

Plant them now, they are supposed to need a cold spell, and it seems cold out there. Although how that works with Spanish garlic I am not sure, didn't think Spain got many heavy cold spells. I planted a row last year, then planted another row a month ago.

Watch them for rust, spray if you like to lessen the impact.
                    I find they can be harvested about August, I think the guide is when 1/3 to 1/2 of the leaves have turned brown.
                    Best results I have had were with 2 garlics from Sainsburys, all the nice specially purchased ones have been really poor.
                    As they are related to onions and there are short day, equal day and long day varieties of onions so I suspect garlics could be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiya View Post

I have heard of people putting garlic in the fridge to encourage it to vernalise?
                      I keep my cooking garlic in the fridge anyway, and that's what I plant too, not special seed garlic.

I put them in the freezer once: they all died
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Wow OP! It's like you're psychadelic. I was going to post almost the exact thing! I bought some garlic in January and half forgot about it, due to winter being exceptionally depressing, I think. Good to know that it can still be planted, even if the bulbs don't get very big. I might give it a go tomorrow.

Comment

Longest day is June 21st not 22nd.
                          Just my 2 pennys worth lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X