No announcement yet.

paper plant pots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm loving all the different ways of making these.
    We use an old hairspray can, the bottom is shaped perfectly, never have any problems with them falling apart.

When I harvested my sweetcorn and swede the first time I'd used the pots, the roots seemed kinda trapped in them so now I just tease the pot open a wee bit at the bottom and they are absolutely fine.
    My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ananke View Post
      When I harvested my sweetcorn and swede the first time ... the roots seemed kinda trapped in them
      Wow, they can't have grown much then?

You should be puddling in* your transplanted plants: then the bottom of the paper pot is all soggy and just disintegrates

* dig a hole, put plant in hole. Fill hole with water, once or twice, let it drain away. Finally, fill hole with soil.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
        Mine are made by able bodies and disabled kids in class, don't cost a penny for the former and we make hundreds and hundreds. If they fell apart I'd not use them. We made another 50 today. So by all means use the former but please don't make out that they don't stay together because they are just fine.
        Blimey we don't all have free labour to make our pots! No need to be narky though, I didn't say they didn't stay together, I said that the ones made with the former stayed together better (not the same things at all), so don't accuse me of something I didn't say . Your belief is your way is better, if that's what you want to do then it is for you, it's not for me though, I found them fiddly and not as good which was the point I was making in relevance to the OP and whatever you think, this is true for me so a totally valid point.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          Blimey we don't all have free labour to make our pots! No need to be narky though, I didn't say they didn't stay together, I said that the ones made with the former stayed together better (not the same things at all), so don't accuse me of something I didn't say . Your belief is your way is better, if that's what you want to do then it is for you, it's not for me though, I found them fiddly and not as good which was the point I was making in relevance to the OP and whatever you think, this is true for me so a totally valid point.
          I use both ways - as I do actually have the paper potter myself. But you said you found they stay together better. Thereby inferring that 'my blog' way wasn't as good as your paper potter way. When they stay together just fine.
          Last edited by zazen999; 20-03-2013, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Paper Pot Production Personal Preferences Poll

To Mould or To Fold ? That is the question
            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post

To be fair, it really doesn't matter. As long as they hold the soil for a time, until the root balls forms, and rot down when in the ground, they are all pretty much the same.

Comment

I use both ways - as I do actually have the paper potter myself. But you said you found they stay together better. Thereby inferring that 'my blog' way wasn't as good as your paper potter way. When they stay together just fine.
                My experience is that the DO stay together better so it's a perfectly valid point which I stand by. Your experience is different so your point is valid too. I'm not saying you're wrong but they again, I'm not either. Both ways are FAR better than using peat pots and cheaper than buying reusable pots.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post

To be fair, it really doesn't matter. As long as they hold the soil for a time, until the root balls forms, and rot down when in the ground, they are all pretty much the same.
                  Originally posted by Alison View Post
                  My experience is that the DO stay together better so it's a perfectly valid point which I stand by. Your experience is different so your point is valid too. I'm not saying you're wrong but they again, I'm not either. Both ways are FAR better than using peat pots and cheaper than buying reusable pots.
                  Ah as the General used to say ... Detente ... so basically it is agreed both methods have merit

Comment

How to make newspaper seed starting pots - YouTube

I cant find the original Youtube video that I learned from which was hilarious, but this one uses the same method. they hold each other together when stood in a tray and filled with compost. they are squares instead of circles, which I personally find better for the plant roots, and can be made and kept, folded flat until required. if the flaps are a problem for you I would rather use a paper clip than a staple as the clip can be removed and reused prior to planting out, the staple would go into your soil and may get stuck in your fingers in 3 years time.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Excellent idea the about the paper clip what a great tip

Comment

Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post
                        How to make newspaper seed starting pots - YouTube

I cant find the original Youtube video that I learned from which was hilarious, but this one uses the same method. they hold each other together when stood in a tray and filled with compost. they are squares instead of circles, which I personally find better for the plant roots, and can be made and kept, folded flat until required. if the flaps are a problem for you I would rather use a paper clip than a staple as the clip can be removed and reused prior to planting out, the staple would go into your soil and may get stuck in your fingers in 3 years time.
                        Those are the same as mine on the blog - once the compost is in the flap stays down. Using A4 paper torn in half, you get 12 into a half seed tray or 24 into a full seed tray.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X