putting new tatties in

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
    More details needed! so you put them in the gh once they have sprouted in the buckets under the kitchen table? Your greenhouse isn't heated is it? And isn't it a shock to their poor little starchy souls to go from the warm kitchen to be banished the the gh??
    Specially for you Hazel - this GH one has been earthed up and has emerged again - and there were roots out of the bottom of the flower bucket
    We've had several nights below freezing too.
    Attached Files

Comment

You really need to harden off your chitted potatoes before bunging them into cold soil or else it defeats the purpose!

Put them into a cold greenhouse, covering with newspaper if a frost threatens and they will build up lovely dark green hard chits. Then, when you do plant them out the hard chits will romp away faster than the soft chits...............

As usual I'm talking a load of chit's................
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Some of my seed potatoes are really big, like small bakers, and they've chitted at both ends - can I chop them in half or would they just rot with a bare edge like that?
        sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

I've had success by cutting the big ones in half. I do it at least a week before planting so I can see the cut faces dry out in the chitting tray, I don't know if that's necessary but it makes me feel more comfortable about them not rotting when I put them in the ground.
          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Well I was looking at last years blog and according to it I put my potatoes in on 23rd March 2012 but I don't think I will be doing it that early this year. Its still too cold as well as too wet especially round here where we have clay soil. I am hoping to do it Good Friday but even that's dependent on what the weather brings! Just wish it would room up The plot is ready but the ground is too wet and cold at the moment!
            Visit my blog at: marksallotment20162017.wordpress.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X