Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I a bit late or are you lot a bit eager?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sowed my peppers the earliest, in mid or late January. Now having coddled them for weeks and pricked them on, they still only have seed leaves, and got hit back after minus 6 frost two nights ago (inside a polythene tent with a 400 watt tubular heater, on the staging, and inside a large polytunnel!) Tomato seeds haven't come through yet as the heated top of the range propagator can't maintain much more than around 50F! Most things that have begun to germinate are brassicas and onions, both of which are worth starting early in modules to plant out as soon as the garden is ready. I've friends who have planted potatoes already here, but as the ground is freezing cold still, I don't see the point, as even if they don't rot, they won't start growing until the ground warms up.
    You are right to wait for most things. I am waiting to find out just how much even my little 400w heater and 150 watt or so propagator is going to cost me in electricity... and with relatively little to show for it!

Comment

I try to 'keep calm and read the seed packet' - but to be honest it doesn't take much for me to talk myself into starting; toms, chillis, aubs etc all started and will move out to the poly in a month or whenever my family put their collective foot down. The only thing that really stops me is when I run out of window ledge space

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        Uh huh, but carrots prefer a soil temp of at least 10c, and weeds will germinate at much lower temps
        Needs to be even warmer for jokes to thrive, evidently ;-)

Comment

Toms, Chillies and cucs sown inside and window sills full now!
          Onions, mixed salad leafs, cabbage, cauliflower, leeks, calabrese and tub of carrots all sown in greenhouse
          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
          sigpic

Comment

Cant quite remeber when I started last year but I have done nothing at all so far this year.

Gonna be sowing my peppers, aubs, onions and leeks tomorrow and hanging on another 10-14 days for my tomatoes.

hope I havent missed the boat, especially the peppers and aubs, hehe.

It has just all been too dark for me to consider any sowing till now

Comment

I haven't done anything yet, either. I've been so stressed and depressed, but the plot has been ultra soggy. Am seriously thinking the no-dig approach for the spuds, using well rotted manure and compost to earth up, instead of trenches. I even bought some garlic to put in earlier in the year and it's still sat there in the packet. Not sure whether to just go for it with them or not!!

Comment

Hi SL I'd shove the garlic in pots and get it sat outside, at least it should get the number of frosts it needs but won't drown either... Might not get massive but even tiny they can be shoved in the roasting tray to give flavour to other stuff?

Comment

Thanks for the tip Sarz as mine is sitting in the bag still too
                  You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Well, I went for it! Yesterday our kitchen looked like a seed sowing masterclass - a seed compost extravanganza! (Lots of cleaning up to do when we were finished though )There is not a spare bit of space anywhere now. Everything that should be sown has been, but, I still have packets and packets of stuff to be sown that does not need sowing as yet! It makes me feel that at least i've done something though. Made a start, come on sunshine we need you!
                    You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X