Price of tomato seeds whew

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK thanks for the replies.

I was sowing my toms yesterday, including "3" of the T&M seeds.
    I also sowed some "Red Cherry". I had saved a packet, sow by 2010.
    The supplier was "Franchi Sementi", there were hundreds of seeds in the pack, enough for many years of sowing.

Re "Sow by 2010" I suspect with toms I might get some, what's the thoughts on this ??

Jimmy
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

carry on using them, each year you may get fewer that germinate, but they're usually ok for years - as long as the seeds stay dry in the packet

Comment

Just and update
        The Franchi Sementi seeds from 2010, loads came up, a bonus.

Of the 4 T&M Rosada seeds I sowed, all 4 came up.
        One was a bit of a runt and didn't look like it would get out of the shell.
        But a quick mist with water and and hour later it had emerged.

Been potting on chilies seem to have far too many.
        Must have sown about 6 varieties.

As for Toms, well potting on starts next week end. Must have 10 or more varieties of them, all mainly cherry/plum ones apart from my GH Alacanti.

Jimmy

Comment

I've got tomato seeds more than 10 years out of date that still have very high germination rates.
          Last edited by Alison; 08-04-2013, 08:49 AM.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Does anyone know how they get out the shell, do they wiggle or something.
            Very mysterious this nature thing !
            Jimmy

Comment

Same thing happened to me with my first purchase of Black Russian toms. Nearly four quid for six seeds! (Nearly fainted when I opened the packet!) I then managed to decapitate one of my seedlings!! (Another fainting fit!) However, I saved some seed from one of the fruit - it's my third year growing them now and I have LOADS of seed! Also growing some seed saved from a "Finest Cherry Selection" from Tezzie's. 100% germination. Mini orange cherry plum, anyone?........
              When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                Does anyone know how they get out the shell, do they wiggle or something.
                Very mysterious this nature thing !
                Jimmy
                Emerging leaves have a lot of strength in them - as they expand (grow) they split the seedcase. Sometimes they get trapped if the seedcase is dry so misting with plain water softens the case.

Comment

Lidl Hartz for me .Approx 70p a packet - lasts for 5 years.

Nice flavour.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X