Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favourite new potato variety?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

last year i grew several varies,given that it was a bad year,the ones that did the best were roosters from the supermarket sell off's,a bit of worm,but have kept well,still using them,some will be replanted this year,also trying are some shannon,and rudolph,all are reds,the later are a lovely taste,have baked and done wedges with them,very nice and smooth,will find out how they perform latter in the year,
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the great tips. We'd agree that 'Lady Christl', 'Red Duke of York' and 'Charlotte' are very tasty spuds! We'd love to try some other varieties, too. In fact, we're trying to come up with a top 10!

Can you help us out and suggest a few other favourites? For example, what would you grow for a really speedy crop?
      GYO magazine is on twitter and facebook! Visit us at www.twitter.com/GYOmag and www.facebook.com/growyourownmag

Comment

My favourite potato for flavour is "Epicure" and have always grown it. I try different potatoes each year, but Epicure is the only one grown each year.

Comment

Hi,

I had Rocket and Foremost as first early last year.....but grown in containers against the south facing wall of my garage.....

Using the same compost in the containers for both the Rocket/Foremost the Rockets were ready in 12 weeks from a sowing 1st week in March.....and Foremost in 15 weeks....so my local conditions of heavy rain and lots of grey days really effected the Foremost more than the Rocket.....as they both are listed as normally 10 weekers.

I kept the smaller tubers from the rocket as seeds for this year and they have come through been stored in my garage in nets and are chitting away happily.....I was hoping to plant them in containers this week but the weather as it is.... I'll leave it another week.

I was also planning last year to do main crop and lates in containers but the continued wet weather conditions seemed perfect for blight so I gave it a miss....hopefully this year I will be able to.

Comment

Originally posted by Sara View Post
            Hi everyone,

Thanks for the great tips. We'd agree that 'Lady Christl', 'Red Duke of York' and 'Charlotte' are very tasty spuds! We'd love to try some other varieties, too. In fact, we're trying to come up with a top 10!

Can you help us out and suggest a few other favourites? For example, what would you grow for a really speedy crop?
            Why don't you just say in your article that you'd love to do a top ten but these three so outstrip any other mentions that there is no point ?
            Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

There's always a point! I also like Ratte and Pink Fir Apple. Maybe a poll? Although we did one last year if I remember right, when I was trying to decide which tubers to buy.
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

We love Blue Danube from the Sarpo breeders. We first tried it 2 years ago as a bit of a novelty due to its bluey-purple skin, which was my daughter's favourite colour. We found it to be a really great potato though, tending to waxy and a good flavour as second earlies, but any left in the ground do bulk up and make good wedges/jackets as well. We always try to eat them with the skin on to make the most of the anthocyanins in the the purple skins

Comment

Originally posted by Sara View Post
                  For example, what would you grow for a really speedy crop?
                  Early spuds will produce a crop in 10 weeks from planting. Lady Christl and Red DOY are early varieties. That's as quick as it gets

Comment

I love 'exquisa' that Tesco sell - never seen any seeds for sale though. Has anyone tried growing them from shop-bought spuds?
                    He-Pep!

Comment

In the past we've tried Rocket and Swift which make claims to be the quickest growing etc. However we found both varieties to be watery and tasteless, so never use them now. We liked the flavour and texture of Ratte but yields were low. All of the Ulster varieties are good, and if I had more space would probably have added Ulster Sceptre to the list, and possibly Dunluce from the same breeder as they're pretty good too. As it is, I've limited our choice to Lady Christl for first earlies, Blue Danube and Charlotte for 2nd earlies, and Harlequin for late salads.

Comment

Last season grew Epicure, Casablanca, Int'l Kidney last season all did okay with Casablanca being pick of the bunch. This season will be growing Swift, Rocket, and Winston. Lady Christl are definitely on my wanted list though my local potato day has yet to stock them.

Also growing Charlotte, Kestrel, & my personal favorite Harlequin (previous poster good choice) again this season. Though no late's for me this time round.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

So, nine of the top spots have been awarded...which spud should take the final place?

This has got our fingers itching to get some in the (frozen) ground! Patience...

Laura
                          Keep up to date with GYO's breaking news on twitter and facebook!

Twitter: @GYOmag
                          Facebook: facebook.com/growyourownmag

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                            I love 'exquisa' that Tesco sell - never seen any seeds for sale though. Has anyone tried growing them from shop-bought spuds?
                            am going to try these this year from shop bought.
                            '' We came in different ships, but we're all in the same boat ''

''I'm only responsible for what I say...not what you understand.''

Comment

I'm a Lady Chrystl convert as well - thanks for the recommendation to leave in to grow bakers as well! Bit naughty this given the weather but they are already in!

However Nicola are a good variety I grow often - very tasty. Not sure if they are first or second earlies but they also double up well to replant straight after the first earlies come out as work as a very late crop as well - makes them very flexible.

Yuk to swift and rocket - rubbish varieties and not worth the ground space! Personally I've no idea why they get recommended so often. New growers would be out off if that is the best they think they can get.

Comment

I guess that Charlotte, Nicola and Anya are our favourites and of course as a treat Jerseys all of which are shop bought
                                I do grow a few potatoes in pots and always from tubers 'borrowed' from the kitchen (I know, I know) but anyway, today have potted up Charlotte, Corolle, Allians, Apache and Carlingford all of which have been chitting away since January. - just one or two large (bucket size) pots of each variety in a mix of roughly 50/50 garden compost and cheapo MPC.

a-a

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X