Lawn or veggies?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks nice VC...
    My answer is if you don't have, or think you don't have enough room for veg growing, then sacrifice some lawn...
    Worth bearing in mind that the existing plants, vegetation and remaining grass will provide plenty of cover for slugs, so you are probably right about raised beds...
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
    sigpic

Comment

I've been nibbling away at the grass for 30+ years - making beds larger, planting fruit trees where they didn't oughta be, shoving currant bushes and rhubarb in amongst the flowers, and I just think it maybe time to bite the bullet and take a different approach. But its going to mean a lot of effort - and that's my real issue - with myself - can I be bothered - and will I keep it looking tidy, or will it get overgrown like so much else has here.
      If I leave it as grass, then a man comes in and mows it and I don't even have to think about it - that's the lazy option.

Comment

With copper wire round them should help with the slugs.

Potty
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Although I spend a lot of my time tending/growing veg (and love it) and should be voting to turn any lawn to veg I'm going to vote t'other way on several counts....

Strangely enough I've been pondering exactly the same equation for exactly the same reasons (much of garden shaded) and have decided a) I don't need more fruit/veg space when I'm not fully utilising what I've already got and b) whether you sit in it or not gardens (and mind) benefit from some open/empty space..... On a practical level I also find an open space invaluable for occasional activities like sorting nets for fruit, tree prunings etc. And it's relatively easy to maintain so you can get on with other things....

Ideally you need to be around veg on a frequent, preferably daily basis. (e.g. this month seeds - and weeds! - are doing strange things in a few hours from growing (weeds) to looking thirsty or dying (seeds...!) If, as I understand it, you're away at various stages then veg can become a bit of a worry (depending on daily weather changes) and as far as harvest is concerned most garden veg is not determined by your menus or plans but by the weather.... Day 1. too early 2. just right 3. too late!

A solution.... and modifying Redser's suggestion..... a) exploit all existing areas to the max including b) thinking how you could best and most imaginatively use strategically placed CONTAINERS for veg. There are ways of overcoming the watering problem and some big advantages of scale, care, quality etc..... e.g. carrots in a sandy mix in an old cracked water butt are 4' off the ground, easier to tend/crop and won't get carrot fly!
          You (or lawn man) can even move some containers to optimum locations at critical times....

So I'm not digging up the lawn but developing other areas at various levels with various containers from plastic to ceramic, from small to large, from purpose built to alternative usage. And the lawn stays put for me to untangle nets or perform the odd rain dance when required...

Comment

Hi baz - I knew I could depend on you to come up with an alternative approach
            I grew all my courgettes/squash in pots last year but the watering was an issue - too much rather than too little. Total disaster really. I had potatoes and beans in the ground but there really isn't enough light for them with all the trees. I've just about worked out how long I can leave tomatoes in the greenhouses unattended (5-6 days if its hot, 7 days if cool) - its only seedlings that are a problem and that would be the same wherever I was growing them on.
            I'd like to grow root veg but there are too many tree roots and stones - so they have to be in pots or raised beds. I'll have one soon in the trampoline frame but that is quite shady too. There's also a bookcase that is about to become a carrot raised bed (on its back!)
            I'll have another think about it tomorrow when I'm awake.
            PS I've brought some 3 cornered leeks back and hope to get them in the post to you tomorrow

Comment

hmm before my lottie i had a small area in the garden, last year when my lottie came i thought 'yes a can hae a lawn again'

This has not occured, i made the fatal error of buing my other half an incubator so now 1/3 of the garden is for the dogs, 1/3 for his scaffolding yard and the last 1/3 is home to 15 chickens.

i have a front garden or i use the lottie for my sunbathing now

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X