Covering veggie patch over winter

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kallie View Post
    Should I take the taupaulin off now, as they might decide to breed under there?
    I have trouble with mice on my plot. When I first started out using card as a ground cover I would find mice nests and runs underneath. I now use soaking wet newspapers, these don't leave nice warm gaps underneath like the large sheets of card do. My pea and bean seeds are always stolen though!!

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit View Post
      If you drink milk you can save the plastic bottles to fill with water as weights to weight the cardboard down. We've done that this year and the cover we put down (weed stop black fabric) is coping in these gale force winds just about.
      I use old plastic pop bottles that I get friends to save for me (we don't use enough) - we give our milk bottles back to the milkman for him to fill up again

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I use old tyres, but then I use them for everything from making a rubber arena for the horserider to everything else
        Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

I've used tyres to weigh down sections of card etc too, very handy they are too although some people worry about nasties leeching off them.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
            I use old tyres, but then I use them for everything from making a rubber arena for the horserider to everything else
            We can't use tyres on our (council owned) allotment - anyone thinking of using them (a la Bob Flowerdew) on their plot would be wise to check first. Obvs. ok on your own land!

Comment

I don't use them to grow in, partly because of the worry of leaching, and partly because they always seem to be full of red backs. I'd rather not play with spiders while I'm gardening, except for those scary garden spider of course.
              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                I've used tyres to weigh down sections of card etc too, very handy they are too although some people worry about nasties leeching off them.
                I am always very careful of the water that collects in them in case it contains rat pee. When moving them, I would wear rubber gloves and take care to avoid splashes to your face or that create air bourne droplets - lepto' is not plesant.
                Last edited by marchogaeth; 13-03-2013, 12:20 PM.
                "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X