Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use Charles Dowding no dig system?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for all your advice. Lots for me to think about. I think I will try to dig out some of the brambles but if it's too difficult, I'll cut them right down and attempt to mulch.

If I mulch well, can I walk over the top of it if needed?
    Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

If you are mulching up you'll compact the layers - so not the best idea in the world but not the end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Likac66 View Post
        I think I will try to dig out some of the brambles but if it's too difficult, I'll cut them right down and attempt to mulch.
        I don't think you can successfully mulch brambles, they're simply too strong.

Get them out with a large fork, a crowbar and a pruning saw, bit by bit. You don't have to be all manly and dig them out

Originally posted by Likac66 View Post
        If I mulch well, can I walk over the top of it if needed?
        You should NEVER walk on soil that you're growing in. Walk on the paths only
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          You two and your timing! Could it get any better?
          *ahem* I've beaten the lady wix to a couple this morning mind

Comment

Yes, I know you should never walk on the beds, that's why I've got stepping stones on them! Just so I can step around the beds that are just a little too big to reach to.
            Also you can just make paths between them. We need to move our paths a bit so we can reach better. Next year! Oh well, yes, later this year I guess.
            Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

I know this is a little off to the side of the topic but I started browsing random youtube videos from the Alys Fowler one and came across this and it is about mulching with wood chip.

SuperSize Your Vegetables with Wood Chips & Rock Dust in Your Garden - YouTube

I always thought accepted gospel was wood chip wasn't a good idea on allotments/ growing areas as it locks away nitrogen, however it seems like it is viable and pretty effective thinking long term.
              My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesy_uk View Post
                I always thought ... wood chip wasn't a good idea on allotments/ growing areas as it locks away nitrogen
                a little knowledge being a dangerous thing.

It doesn't lock away nitrogen, it uses it up from the soil (because woodchip is carbon, and needs nitrogen as it decomposes.) But that's only if it's buried, not if it's used as a mulch
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesy_uk View Post
                  I know this is a little off to the side of the topic but I started browsing random youtube videos from the Alys Fowler one and came across this and it is about mulching with wood chip.

SuperSize Your Vegetables with Wood Chips & Rock Dust in Your Garden - YouTube

I always thought accepted gospel was wood chip wasn't a good idea on allotments/ growing areas as it locks away nitrogen, however it seems like it is viable and pretty effective thinking long term.
                  Funny, because I've just raked away the wood chip on the borders and yes the moisture is there and so is a black top soil. I've taken out perennial weed - barely any. I've re mulched with compost and will be adding the chips back on top. The ground when scraped of the chips reminded me of a woodland floor. Never done it before, but I'll be doing it from now on.
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X