Green spheres in peat moss?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
    There is nothing on the market which is as good as peat. If there was, we wouldn't be having this debate. We would all be using it.
    Fair enough - I agree that it is the best at what we use it for. I'm sure I'm viewed by many as a leafy liberal weirdo, but even so I'm just not too keen on peat. But as I say it's down to personal choice at the end of the day as to what we use (I'm not looking to cause an argument!).

I think in an ideal world I'd like to see it "licenced" if that's the right word, as we have with sustainable timber and the like, so that natural peat bogs can be given a chance to recover without being completely decimated, but it could still be used within reason.
    Last edited by sowitgrowit; 05-03-2013, 09:41 AM.
    "Live like a peasant, eat like a king..."
    Sow it, grow it • Adventures on Plot 10b - my allotment blog.
    I'm also on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by sowitgrowit View Post
      (I'm not looking to cause an argument!)
      The easiest way not to cause an argument is not to add (I'm not looking to cause an argument!).
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

This one comes up every year without fail. IMO the only true 'green' compost is the stuff you make yourself. With all others there is some form of penalty, with that in mind I will continue to use what performs best and for me thats 'Peat'.

I have cut down a awful lot by reusing it wherever I can, but for some jobs fresh MPC with peat is pretty much unbeatable.

Potty
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Any ideas on the spheres Potty ? I am still waiting for a picture,although I think it will turn out as snail eggs,if the eggs in the moss on my front lawn is anything to go by
          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Twas my thought to but decided to wait for the pic before making a numpty of myself.

Potty
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sowitgrowit View Post
              I'm sure I'm viewed by many as a leafy liberal weirdo, .
              Not at all, you are entitled to your opinion as are we all

Comment

Two photos attached. They are oval shaped, probably around 5mm diameter, squashy and fluid filled. Some have hard shells though. Be interesting to know what they are.

Attached Files

Comment

definitely not slug eggs and definitely not the eggs of NZ flatworm. They won't add fertiliser to peat so it shouldn't be slow release pellets and in any event, they look to be too big to be that. if they were bug eggs, my thought would be that if squashed, the liquid exuded would be milky white if not creamy. Clear liquid doesn't seem to support that theory. My inclination would be to pick them out as (you no doubt have done) and pop them in a pot of moist peat in a sealed large poly bag and leave them outside in a sheltered place and wait to see if anything comes of them. And please let us know what the outcome is. It really is a puzzler

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X