No announcement yet.

How self-sufficient are you?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I'm on the trail of a 2nd hand freezer as we speak!
    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

I have two chickens which are just enough to feed my family with eggs for 10 months a year, during winter I will buy some eggs from time to time. I used to give away a lot of surplus fruit and veg, but these days I blanch & freeze most veg, dry herbs, store and freeze fruit, make chutneys, jams. I'm always looking for ways to make use of my own produce and that of the wild bounty around me.

I'd love to have enough land to grow my own meat, but that remains a pipe dream for now.
      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I'm self sufficient in a very small way - I never have to buy salad leaves as I grow them all year round! They're very easy to grow but very expensive to buy. I'm sure everyone can do this as they're happy in pots.
        I don't buy any soft fruit through the summer - and refuse to buy tomatoes over winter as they are tasteless compared to homegrown.

Comment

Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
          Yes, I'm on the trail of a 2nd hand freezer as we speak!
          We just have three drawer freezer bit of the fridge. Sometimes it can be a bit of squeeze!
          Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

We manage to get something home-grown for most of the year but there's slim pickings at this time of year. All that's left in the veg garden are a few skinny leeks, some kale and chard but we have a large commercial freezer and that still has beans, parsnips, peppers, sliced apple, blackcurrants, gooseberries and pureed veg for soups. Overwintered spring onions in the greenhouse are thickening up and we also have micro-greens in there so we do pretty well on balance. Mustn't forget a cupboard full of jams, chutneys and pickles and we also make cider and wine but I don't think that counts as part of our five a day!

Comment

Totally self sufficient in eggs & wouldnt buy from shop if we ran out. Do eat our own larger boys if we have excess. Unfortunately dont have the room to grow most on for dinner.
              Have just used the last of home grown runners & tomatoes. Have apple still in the freezer. Keep herbs on the kitchen windowsill & living lettuce. Have got more fruit bushes for this year & wont be giving any veg/salad away as will utilise this more for us.
              Would so love to have some land for more veg/fruit & our own meat. Home cured bacon - YUM!

Comment

As above, totally self sufficient in eggs and sell/give away our excess. During the summer months, I don't buy tomatoes (yet, my wife does - and promptly receives an ear full from me).. Want to try to grow salad crops all year round - might have to get some tips from you, VC! mind you, now I have a grow light kit, I suppose I can grow them indoors too. I have a lot of fruit bushes, and fruit trees now, so perhaps in a few years time soft fruit purchasing might go down.

I'd like to be pretty much self sufficient in veg most of the year - slowly working towards that goal, but require more growing space!

Comment

Oops sorry its so big!

Comment

LOL Henrietta would always be safe at our house!

We should be self sufficient with eggs by the weekend! Come on ex-batties, we're waiting for ya!
                    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

We try to grow enough potatoes, squash, garlic and onions to see us through most of the year. Last year's onions were terrible though so have buying for about two months now. We dry chillies and beans, bottle some tomatoes, make tons of jam, elderflower cordial and fizz, and freeze courgettes, fruit etc. We have corn salad in the open ground doing well all year, rainbow chard, and still have celeriac, leeks and parsnips in the ground (need lifting now though).

Most meals are based around our own veg, at any time of year, now I think about it!
                      I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

I was sure I'd already voted on this but can't find my post - we're pretty much veggie self sufficient and grow a lot of summer fruits but not over winter. We don't have any livestock but have bartered with friends. I've found that my diet has changed in that I eat what I grow rather than what I see on the shelf in the shop - still eat a wide variety of stuff but it's more seasonal and I'll never tire of the thrill of putting my own stuff on the table.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          I was sure I'd already voted on this but can't find my post
                          Nope just the one Alison,to check the number of posts yourself/any other member has made in any thread is actually fast & easy .........

On the new posts page find the thread in question,to the right there are the number of replies & the number views,hover your cursor over the actual number (of views) when it becomes a hand left click,a new window will open,that then shows who & how many,scroll down as it is sorted numerically rather than alphabetically
                          Last edited by bearded bloke; 05-03-2013, 02:08 PM.
                          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

To check whether you've voted and how is easy - go to the voting table and it tells you! Your vote is in italics

Comment

I'm not hung up on trying to be self sufficient, as its not my goal. I like to grow fruit and veg that either I can't get in the supermarkets or if I can just don't compare. My plot is a reasonable size about 150sqm, but I have a young family and work full time so I don't beat myself up if I buy veg. I love growing my own, and I love my daughter understanding what fresh veg actually tastes like straight off the plant. She'll happily go and pick a ripe tomato from the greenhouse and pop it in her mouth, whereas her friends require it to be washed first.
                              I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                                Nope just the one Alison,to check the number of posts yourself/any other member has made in any thread is actually fast & easy .........

On the new posts page find the thread in question,to the right there are the number of replies & the number views,hover your cursor over the actual number (of views) when it becomes a hand left click,a new window will open,that then shows who & how many,scroll down as it is sorted numerically rather than alphabetically
                                Sorry, thanks but don't think I made myself clear. What I meant was that I remember typing out a reply to this in the past but can't have pressed send (or was doing in on my phone which is rarely satisfactory) so it's not there. The reason I realised I hadn't posted was that the tick wasn't there on the new post page so I knew I couldn't have done

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X