No announcement yet.

Grow bags for 2013

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least you didn't say my mouth got bigger (or my stomach)

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      50% Peat Free...........don't know if that is an issue for you. I know it may be to some.
      Up to recently its never been an issue for me, though I think it should be!

Also now I've started this RHS course, I'm becoming more aware of other materials that can be used, and that it isn't necessary to use peat, when perhaps in the past it was just easier ignore the fact that a product may have contained peat.

I'm still happy to use peat, but being more aware of the situation I do try to use an alternative if it means no extra cost and the results are likely to be similar.
      The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
      William M. Davies

Comment

Why is peat frowned upon sorry for sounding ignorant/silly! I have never check bags of compost for it only seen it on here that people dont like using it!
        In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

Homebase are doing a Jamie Oliver peat free grow bag () which is 38l for £4.

The extra size could be okay, but if there is still only enough room for 3 tomato plants (light-wise) then I'd argue you're not really gaining anything more than if you stuck 3 toms in a 33l or 27l bag.
          William M. Davies

Comment

Originally posted by darcyvuqua View Post
            Why is peat frowned upon sorry for sounding ignorant/silly! I have never check bags of compost for it only seen it on here that people dont like using it!
            BBC - Gardening - Gardening Guides: Today in your garden - Ethical gardening

Hope this help explain a few things - some of which I wasn't even aware of.
            William M. Davies

Comment

WOW Im now going to keep a look out and use peat free I think

Comment

After last years fiasco with Wickes compost I shall be using the tried and tested method before buying.

Knife, hole in bag, check contents. Decide whether to buy or not.

It would seem the only way to me as the quality varies so much every year.

Potty
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I think that stores should empty one bag and sit it in front of the product you will then be able to choose the product most suitable for your needs

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                    After last years fiasco with Wickes compost I shall be using the tried and tested method before buying.

Knife, hole in bag, check contents. Decide whether to buy or not.

It would seem the only way to me as the quality varies so much every year.

Potty
                    Go to B&Q, most of their bags are bust anyway...........
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

.......and I usually end up with a bag with a hole in it that I don't find until I try to lift the bag out of the boot. Sometimes it would be as well to start my seeds off in the car

Comment

Any thoughts on miracle-gro's 50litre grow bags? They're around the £5 mark from what I've seen, so not cheap...but every other grow bag I've looked at this year just doesn't seem to have anything to it (I thought it was just me, glad to see its not!).
                        Last edited by Kinkdom; 26-02-2013, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darcyvuqua View Post
                          WOW Im now going to keep a look out and use peat free I think
                          many of have tried the best of the peat free and decided it is pretty useless. There are many threads about this. TheBeechgrove Garden have tested the various composts and concluded that peat based is best

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                            many of have tried the best of the peat free and decided it is pretty useless. There are many threads about this. TheBeechgrove Garden have tested the various composts and concluded that peat based is best
                            I think this is the main reason I've always just blindly stuck with peat based. However it would be good to find a way without peat so may try a few different grow bags to have a comparison this year.
                            William M. Davies

Comment

Went to my local GC (a natioinwide GC), and they had some offers which I thought you might want to hear about. They have a JAB bag which are 5 for £10, and the 50l Levington tomorite planters which are 3 for £12 (normally £5 each). So got 5 small and 3 big grow bags. Wierdly the small ones say 3 or 4 tomato plants per bag, and the big ones only say 3 plants per bag.

Might get a couple of other bags from other outlets to do a comparison; perhaps Aldi to see how the cheapo ones compare.
                              William M. Davies

Comment

One of the things to think about when buying compost is that you are usually going to have to feed at some point.

With that in mind I buy the cheapest decent compost.

Potty
                                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X