Growing hops

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing hops

Just heard about a new project called "Cardiff Hops". Buy a hop plant, harvest the hops and takes them to a microbrewery for a communal brewup. Not sure what happens after that
    Its based on a similar project in Brixton Brixton Beer – harvest and drinking
    The £20 Starter pack contents:
    - One Prima Donna rhizome
    - Hop twine
    - Gravel
    - Seaweed fertilizer
    - Well rotted manure
    Additional rhizomes are £10.
    So, who grows hops and would you be part of something like this?
    I did search http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ngs_63515.html

I've got a hop grown from a rhizome from Ryton - in my garden. Didn't do that well last year but I have high hopes for this year.

Comment

But look at that one by the canal! Several down by the river I've spotted as well. I'll show you ^^^ one day. Wonder if they take up copious amounts of water...hmmm!

I'd go for it VC. Golden hop is pretty in the sunlight.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

It isn't a golden hop though VVG. Wonder whether I could let it grow it into a defunct fruit tree. I've been thinking about a hop for a while - to eat the shoots (poor man's asparagus)- but no idea how it tastes.
        Its tempting

Comment

It would probably scramble rather nicely. Bit like an edible clematis
          They used to be all over this bit of the Midlands - brewing quarter!
          Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 24-02-2013, 09:57 PM.
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

'Tis done! I've signed up for a starter pack and an extra rhizome. Pick them up on St Patrick's Day

Comment

I hope the luck of the Irish be upon you. Guinness Vine?

Comment

So two rhizomes? To be sure, to be sure

I rather like the look of some hop bushes I saw once. Let us know how you go.
                Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

So far there are 23 members of the Hop group and they're looking forward to the end of year party already. Also on the lookout for local pubs who would let them grow hops in the garden - and suitable research to locate them What have I signed up to

Comment

I found this for you on goooogle Growing Hops in the Garden: How to Grow Beer Hops | Home Brewing Beer Blog by BeerSmith
                    Looks like they need a lot of sun and well aerated soil, but do need a lot of water
                    Last edited by out in the cold; 24-02-2013, 11:35 PM.
                    Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

Comment

Thanks OITC! Don't like the sound of them "consuming my garden" Its already overwhelmed by kiwis and grape vines, not to mention freeranging raspberries. May need a machete just to walk down the garden

Comment

I just have a mental image of a sign next to your gate "Free Range Raspberries for sale: Chase Your Own!"
                        Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

Comment

Its when they chase you that the problems set in.....
                          The kiwi vine taps on the bedroom window - very norty!

Comment

Sounds like you already have the makings of your own 'wine bar/brewery' Veggiechicken

What time is opening?

Comment

So it's Kiwifruit wine again VC?

If they can 'take over' your garden I needs me some of them too!
                              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X