Sowing in cardboard boxes!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need to zero your sights, Veggie !

When you say shiny do you mean any cardboard that isn't just ......umm.......just cardboard?
    Nah nah, glossy is what I mean. You look at the sort of boxes consumer electrical goods come in (or some of the posher cereals if they haven't changed since I used to buy them) and then compare them to cheapo brand, but still brightly coloured cereal boxes, or those used by eco-friendly companies like Whole Earth, and you will see that one is gloss, and the other matt. Gloss is done by subjecting the surface to a lot of heat - soybased inks can't withstand that, so much more toxic inks containing cadmium and other heavy metals, not to mention nasty solvent bases like formaldehyde, are used instead. Formaldehyde is not something you want building up in your soil. It's pretty near a fumigant, if not a biocide. This is why MDF fragments are so bad in compost.
    Me, I use brown cardboard boxes - but then, I work with a recycling charity...not hard to get hold of any amount !
    There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Thanks Sno - as ever!! It's matt boxes from now on - where is Matt these days?

Comment

I hope he's not living in a doorway somewhere...?
        There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X