No announcement yet.

Spring sowing squashes and pumpkins

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Jack 'o' Lantern was the only one of mine to survive through to Halloween, so that's definitely being grown again this year.

And no - I don't want to be called Jack (my soon-to-be first grandson will be called Jack, so that's enough of a reason to grow it)

Andy
    http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

I like invincible ,for the grey skin and gorgeous orange flesh ,festival and munchkin as one person servers (3 mins in the microwave) waltham as my butternut as it always crops and stores well,and the inevitable atlantic giant just for bragging rights.
      don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
      remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Invincible has great flavour and kept really well for me, but my stand out success and favourite is pink banana jumbo. Two fruits kept my family of 5 going in soups and curries for weeks!! Fantastic.

Comment

I like gemsquash. Ive never grown anything like squash or marrow but im willing to give it a go if I get chance.
          Lynne x

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
            Most reliable - my namesake Thelma Sanders
            Then Celebration - small but sweet and tasty
            Harrier a reliable small butternut, that even managed to ripen last year
            and Tromba d'Albegna because it has huge flowers and is a real talking point growing up it's wigwam LOL
            Funnily enough, I'll be trying some of your namesakes this year

However, my truly favourite squash is Crown Prince. Nothing yet (OP wise, anyway) has come close to the flavour for me. Though this year I'm trying 7 new varieties - I love squash!

Comment

All great choices! Exciting to try some new varieties this growing season. What would everybody say is their 'fail-safe' squash? (If such a thing can exist in unreliable climates!)

Laura
              Keep up to date with GYO's breaking news on twitter and facebook!

Twitter: @GYOmag
              Facebook: facebook.com/growyourownmag

Comment

I rather like Lady Godiva as a fail safe, it worked like a rampant thing for me last year in that flipping awful weather. Favourites are Potimarron, Uchiki kuri (both nutty) not great yields last year and good taste for risotto. Sucrine du Berry and Sweet Dumpling also did rather well last year.
                I fail miserably with Butternuts
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I like ones that grow. Another Bruno would be lovely. And courgettes. We like courgettes.
                  Horticultural Hobbit

http://twitter.com/#!/HorticulturalH
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horti...085870?sk=info

http://horticulturalhobbit.com/

Comment

Last year, I had to resow 3 times because of slug damage and the only ones that survived were Trombe d'Albenga, which I grew up a tripod of canes. They also make me smile
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      They also make me smile
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]34008[/ATTACH]
                      Cannot understand why you would smile
                      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

That was one of the more modest ones I like the bendy ones the best

Comment

I like Patty Pans.

Tried growing them last year but never worked.
                          Then again, last year was no summer to judge anything by.

Was given some seeds. When should I be looking to start em?
                          Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

Comment

Patty Pans are a great choice! You can sow in April/May for those.

Has anybody else grown Patty Pans? Or any other unusual looking varieties?

Laura
                            Keep up to date with GYO's breaking news on twitter and facebook!

Twitter: @GYOmag
                            Facebook: facebook.com/growyourownmag

Comment

I grew Patty Pan last year but was very late sowing them and only got two or three off them
                              Will try some again this year hopefully
                              I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                              sigpic

Comment

Potimarron Red Kuri very nice plus Provance
                                Last year I harvested over 100kg from about 16m2

OkOk a bit of a cheat as I live in France

David

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X