No announcement yet.

Onion seedlings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I apologise Aberdeen plotter, my clumsy comment genuinely was not originally meant as personally as it obviously came across...certainly I was interested in original observation, which appeared different to the other thread.....ho hum.

Comment

I think it was the 'knows his onions' meant 'needs to get a life.' comment that was inappropriate Paul but so long as AP is happy with your apology then everything is hunky dory on the vine once again.........
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by sauzee View Post
        I planted 2 trays of leek seeds and 2 trays of onion seeds one red exhibition and one white exhibition out of the 4 trays i planted not one showing. I planted them on 6th Feb in a mixture of vermiculite and compost. The seeds are new delivered from Kings have i made a mistake by planting them in vermiculite
        Oh and the seed trays are indoors
        There should be no problem germinating them in a compost/vermiculite mix sauzee. Are they in a warm place ?
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I planted 2 trays of leek seeds and 2 trays of onion seeds one red exhibition and one white exhibition out of the 4 trays i planted not one showing. I planted them on 6th Feb in a mixture of vermiculite and compost. The seeds are new delivered from Kings have i made a mistake by planting them in vermiculite
          Oh and the seed trays are indoors
          Sauzee, onions germinate best at around 18ºc 64ºf. They will germinate at lower temperatures but it will take longer and you may not get the same percentage of seeds germinating. I have never tried sowing wholly in vermic although I have tried sprinkling the seed on the surface of compost and covering lightly with fine vermic. using vermic didn't prevent germination. What I did find was that the rootplate using a covering vermic was actually seated on top of the compost rather than actually anchored in it resulting in my seedlings flopping all over the place. I now sow on top of moist compost covering lightly with riddled compost.

Hope that gives a wee insight. My inclination would be to move your seedtrays into the airing cupboard where it is warm but take them out again as soon as you see signs of germination. At the optimum temperature with freesh seed, germination should show after around 10 days but at lower temperatures, 3 weeks and upwards isn't unusual.

Comment

Apologies if I misread, I thought it was a compost/vermic mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              Apologies if I misread, I thought it was a compost/vermic mix.
              You are correct Bigmally it is a mix probably 25% vermiculite 75% compost the trays are on the window cill and on top of my large fridge freezer which has heat from the back motors

Comment

If the tray hasn't got a lid on try putting some glass or plastic over the top. Clingfilm may even work but must admit I've not tired it.

Comment

Or put the tray in a plastic bag - may need a bit of wire (?coat hanger) to keep the plastic off the soil..

Comment

The trays all have plastic lids about 3in high i also planted pepinex cucumber,sweet million tomato,mr majestic marigolds and carnations all came up just no show on the leeks and onions

Comment

The trays all have plastic lids about 3in high i also planted pepinex cucumber,sweet million tomato,mr majestic marigolds and carnations all came up just no show on the leeks and onions
                      Give them time, my leeks took a couple of weeks to show.

Comment

Thanks for your replies it must have helped i now see 4 leeks popping through but onions hopefully will follow

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X