X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find a glass of wine helps a lot
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

I'm with twosheds, I use a rubber, it also removes biro too. I only discovered it this year but it seems obvious now, especially with the pencil.
      Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
        Buy a new pack, ...Must cost as much in materials to clean the old ones.
        That's not a sustainable/responsible attitude though *smacks Kirk's hand with a ruler*

We should be reusing, not dumping old stuff in landfill because we're too lazy to clean things
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Buy a new pack, only £1 for 50, and they give you a new pencil to make a mess on the new ones.
          Must cost as much in materials to clean the old ones.

Naughty! Remember your three Rs...

I use water, a (washable) cloth and then a rubber. Cheaper than a new packet although I do snap quite a few with over enthusiastic rubbering.

Yes and little and often, just like pots. She says, looking a pile of pots in a bucket with a load of labels that have been there since November
          Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

I use red chinagraph on the smooth side which I can scrape off with a fingernail - but not if it's on the rough side. Having said that, i don't need to clean off the writing that often because my variety turnover is still quite low so I just reuse them. One day I'm sure I'll be more adventurous and try all sorts, but for now I'm still getting to grips with the basics!

Comment

I'm just putting the plastic ones through the dishwasher. Also use plain wooden ice lolly sticks saved through the year which we then break up and compost/burn.
              I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

But thanks for the reminder - I have now cleaned all my labels. And I remembered that I don't rub out the pencil until I use them in case I can re-use the same one.

Next time they are going through the dishwasher...
                Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Buy a new pack, only £1 for 50, and they give you a new pencil to make a mess on the new ones.
                  Must cost as much in materials to clean the old ones.
                  I'm using the same block of magic rubber that I bought about 5 years ago, can't remember how much it cost but it wasn't that much from the likes of Wilkos and regardless of the fact that I hate to throw away perfectly serviceable goods I get though a few hundred of the things every year so it's amazing how the cost can add up. I use the same chinograph pencil as I've been using for years too so have no need for a new (lower quality) pencil either.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I have some smooth plastic ones that I use pencil on, they rub off easily with water and a thumb. The pencil stays on till I rub it off too. I think they were from Wilkos.

Comment

i found that ASTONISH quick and easy...

Comment

I just bleach mine - then wipe with a cloth - works well for me..

Comment

I use a rubber. It rubs off pencil marks on the rough side of the label without any problem.
                          Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

I find that the white plastic labels go brittle after a year exposed to the elements so many don't last long. However, I've accumulated so many that I've got them sorted into veggie types so it's a bit easier to find the ones you want, plus it saves having to rewrite them every year.
                            For use out of the allotment, I use large wooden ones I bought from Wikos (10 for a pound) painted with white gloss. These never wear out and get scrubbed or painted over each year. Plus I can't lose them as they're so big!

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                              I was about to say Astonish from the pound shop - same principle as Cif/Jif.
                              But the best idea I've ever seen is chalk pen on the plant pot a la Zazen. So this year I've pinched that idea
                              Sounds like a good idea. That way they can't go astray. What is chalk pen please?
                              The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

liquid chalk in a pen. Fleabay have them

1 WHITE NEON FLUORESCENT LIQUID CHALK MARKER BLACKBOARD MENU GLASS WINDOWS PENS | eBay

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X