Growing vegetables simply

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by two brews View Post
    Wouldnt mind seeing Doives 3ft high raised beds myself.

And me!

(What about it's own thread?)

Comment

I think if they're 'ladies wot lunch' there's a possibility they have glorious gardens in terms of flowers and other ornamentals, and so talking about how veg growing can be made an attractive part of the garden too might be useful? Sarah Raven't Great Vegetable Plot is a fab book for that, so might be worth a look at her website for ideas? But some that come to mind are mixing sweet peas with climbing beans and peas on a fancy arch or arbour type thing. With purple podded peas or french beans you get a splash of colour there too.
      Using different varieties and colours of salad leaves and lettuces for edging.
      Different colours of potato tend to have coloured haulms such as Blue Danube which has a purple tinge to the foliage and lovely flowers.

Setting out of the veg garden can be a way of making it more attractive too - nicely symmetrical lines, beehive compost bins etc.

Comment

I love the idea of taking huge veg along for people to see . Listening to someone just talking or showing slides for half an hour can be totally brain numbing, however interested you are in the topic, so anything you can do to make things a bit more interactive is great. Could you maybe include a quick quiz of some kind? Whole group / mini groups / in pairs, depending on number of people? Packet of seeds for the winner(s) or something? And have a table to display stuff that people can route through during their coffee break? And I wouldn't worry about offending 'ladies who lunch' with a bit of genteel smut - they've probably got dirtier minds than you have .
        sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by two brews View Post
          How about mentioning all the specialy adapted tools for less able people.There a bit pricey but mean people can continue with gardening. .
          Seriously, money isn't an object with these folk. Retired solicitors and accountants and the likes. Good idea about these tools. Even a hand fork or trowel with a long shaft on it makes a huge difference to those who just can't get down on their hands and knees.

Comment

They sound like the ladies wot lunch around here. You'd be better off talking to their gardeners
            What about herbs? All ladies like herbs. I also agree with Sarz on pretty climbers, peas with sweet peas!
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
              Seriously, money isn't an object with these folk. Retired solicitors and accountants and the likes. Good idea about these tools. Even a hand fork or trowel with a long shaft on it makes a huge difference to those who just can't get down on their hands and knees.
              Look at you throwing in the double entendres already
              Thought you were going to avoid that AP...
              If you are using slides in some way, I find including an odd quote or two very useful..
              I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post
                Look at you throwing in the double entendres already
                Thought you were going to avoid that AP...
                If you are using slides in some way, I find including an odd quote or two very useful..
                You norty person. Nope, double entendres deffo a no no . These folks think I am squeaky clean.

Comment

Really sweet of you to say that. Made my evening
                  good luck with the talk,the more people who realise they can grow food,even if its only some radishes or lettuce,the better their diet,thanks to you and power to your elbow....

Comment

You norty person. Nope, double entendres deffo a no no . These folks think I am squeaky clean.
                    What's it worth not to tell them?

Comment

norty norty norty

Comment

My favourite adage is 'If you haven't got a plot, you can grow it in a pot'

How big a pot http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...eks_59611.html
                        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

How about some photos of some more interesting looking lettuce and such? Some of those fancy red and green curly lettuce look cute tucked up with the flowers, I had pansies in with the overwintering veg's and cosmos in with the summer one. If they are likely to have big flower gardens already turning their flower beds into veg and herb gardens with the lovely herby smells might appeal.
                          If they are ladies wot lunch.....well pallets and compost might be a 'bit ķut there'for them
                          Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Thos wot have loads a cash hate to spend it and so are attracted to the peasants ways of making do and mend. What is ķut there for them will be siezed upon with relish (or whatever else is on the table

trust me

Comment

Oh yes, sorry forgot about the 'have it but don't spend it's' You'd best take a few seeds and a few cuttings...........freebies! Careful you don't start a stampede tho.
                              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X