No announcement yet.

eggs underneath chilli leaves?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what type of lights are you using as 2 inches would be way to close for most lights, even no heat lights produce heat IFSWIM
    a clip on fan would be enough to move any heat from lights away, something like this

Growth Technology 6" Clip on Fan - Growth Technology - The Inner Garden

Originally posted by chilli_grower View Post
    hmmmm, thanks for the good information two sheds.

No it is not a powder. but when looked at, it appears like a powdery coating.

No south facing windows at all unfortunately.

No other plant in the house at all.

I do not know how to reduce the heat! The radiator is off in the room. Maybe a fan? i have an air con unit...

And I do not believe I am over watering. Also, not all of the plants have the brown scorch marks on the tips, or any browning at all. But they do have the powdery coating...

The light is approx 2 inches above tips of leaves.

HELP!!!!!!!

I might spray with insecticide anyway....I am guseeing it won't make any difference????

Just found this:

"Leaves of plants infested with spider mites show a distinct spotted effect called stippling. Spider mites cause stippling because they feed on plant cells one at a time. Like their name suggests, spider mites can spin webbing; heavily infested plants are typically covered with the fine webbing they use to disperse from old plants to fresh ones."

Comment

I am using one of those T5 4 tube fluorescent fittings, at 96 watts.

Yes, good idea about the fan - I will get one.

Here are some more pics of a single leaf on a completely different plant.

What do you all think?

also, what is IFSWIM?!?!?!?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by chilli_grower; 06-02-2013, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I had some chilli seedlings last year that looked like yours. I decided I'd overwatered them! If you check out the 10th post down the link it shows a picture that looks very like mine did. I cut down on the watering and they were fine. If you have no other plants inside, and these are seedlings planted in clean pots and new compost it seems unlikely to be red spider, and I don't think it looks to be that.

Some Pepper Seedlings look sick - Hot Pepper Forum - GardenWeb

If you search for oedema or edema (maybe American spelling?) there is a lot of info about the problem. Leaves cannot get rid of the water quickly enough and the leaves distort.

Also on here in 2008

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ves_17634.html
        Last edited by BarleySugar; 06-02-2013, 07:36 PM.
        I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
        Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

hi barley sugar.

Yes that picture on 10th post down, looks pretty much identical. So over watering could be to blame after all?

Sure seems like drastic consequences, just from over watering?

Red spider mite symptoms are very similar to what I have.

But - as already mentioned, I have looked under 10x magnification, and I see nothing moving! Or nothing that even looks like it could be a living thing!

Whatever it is, I hope it goes soon.

Question is, do I hold off on the watering, and allow to dry out for a bit and then re water?

I will google edema

Thank you for the help
          Last edited by chilli_grower; 06-02-2013, 08:34 PM.

Comment

just read several articles on edema. Fascinating.

And it looks like that is it. I have has another look at the leaves with 10 x magnification and I see no evidence of a living creature at all.

Therefore, my new plan is to only water in the mornings if necessary, and to install a fan asap.

Comment

No south facing windows at all unfortunately.
              Of course, you could just hold off sowing until the days are longer and lighter (and warmer). Many of us have given up early indoor sowing BECAUSE of the problems encountered.

Sure seems like drastic consequences, just from over watering?

do I hold off on the watering, and allow to dry out for a bit and then re water?
              If you realise that your plants are actually DROWNING, and they're trying to survive, it makes sense.

Raise the lamps up a bit, and water like this: how to water seedlings - YouTube

See, I knew it wasn't RSM
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

yep - looks like you were right!!!

I have an inexperienced eye...

Comment

Fly eggs on leaves...id

Appreciate any advice on what you might think these eggs are. Im guessing fly but could be mosquitos?

Also what the name of the plant is.

Many thanks in advance.

Coco
                  Attached Files

Comment

Cocospain, they are not eggs - they are aphids. No idea what the plant is, photo too close up to tell.

Comment

ugghhh gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Cocospain View Post
                        could be mosquitos?
                        Nope, mozzies lay in stagnant water

Originally posted by Cocospain View Post
                        Also what the name of the plant is.
                        for that, we need a photo of the plant
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X