No announcement yet.

Exciting Crops for a UK allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The quinoa is a bit of a hassle as you have to let it dry, pick out the dry bits and then winnow it, and then soak in water before you cook to get the coating off. (tastes like bitter soap) But then you just cook for 15 mins. Tastes good and wholesome, its not got that much flavour in itself, so use like rice. I'd say it tastes like a slightly more nutty/wholesome rice, with a more interesting texture. It's def worth trying.

I bought chop suey greens today, anyone tried those?
    http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

It's better to establish whether you actually like what you'll be growing first. I've grown a few things before having never tried them beforehand and been disappointed when I didn't like some of them.
      Some people will claim certain things to be amazing, but you must ask yourself why if they're so good they aren't more common.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt94 View Post
        zaz you will have to post a link of ebay shop on here when you've got everything sorted as there maybe a few of us on here who will be interested in buying them
        They will be going on this weekend - as a job lot [not splitting these at all].
        Yacon – 3 tubers
        Oca [mixed] – 2 tubers
        Cinnamon Vine – 3 tubers
        Potato onions – 2 sets
        Achocha – 5 seeds
        2 types of calaloo – 30 seeds in each
        Portuguese Cabbage – 100 seeds
        Vietnamese Mustard – 15 seeds
        Kheera Cucumber – 2 seeds
        Kodu Squash – 2 seeds

Comment

Is it bidding Zaz or fixed price? I don't often do Ebay but I'm interested!

Comment

Bidding VC - I have to have a min price to pay for them [the Yacon, Oca and Cinnamon Vines came from Real Seeds] and so once postage and ebay and paypal fees are added, they will go on at that price. I might add more fancies in if I find them by Saturday evening.

Comment

OK Zaz, Thanks! I'll have to remember to look

Comment

I'll post a linkie at the weekend.

Comment

Thanks - I'll need the reminder

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    You said you were doing a project - is it for a thesis?
                    If I can pull it off, it's gonna be for a public space :-)

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      Have you seen Sowing New Seeds You could try some of the crops being grown there.
                      wow this is such a lovely idea. There's a cucumber we eat inh My dad'd country and I am a bit desperate to grow it here. (Once I know how to grow things of course so certainly not this year, athlough I dod have a cuc from real seeds that looks close-ish). There's also an indian veg called drumsticks we love to eat in my family. I would really like to try that too.

Electric daisies and potato-onions sound amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit View Post
                        wow this is such a lovely idea. There's a cucumber we eat inh My dad'd country and I am a bit desperate to grow it here. (Once I know how to grow things of course so certainly not this year, athlough I dod have a cuc from real seeds that looks close-ish). There's also an indian veg called drumsticks we love to eat in my family. I would really like to try that too.

Electric daisies and potato-onions sound amazing.
                        Is it this plant, Rabbit?

Moringa oleifera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                        Last edited by zazen999; 09-02-2013, 07:01 AM. Reason: Fixing quote

Comment

If you search on ebay for 'rare exotic crop collection' and see packs with ladybirds on them, that's them.

Bargain for 11 rare crops!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X